Hacking - Speed Up Windows
Increase windows speed in a minute
Prefetch files and folder
- The Windows operating system keeps track of the how and when the computer is switched ON, what are the current open programs, etc. Windows saves this all this data in the form of small files under the Prefetch folder. This information is stored for future reference to speed up the system process when the same files are accessed in future.
- The prefetch folder appears as a subfolder under Windows folder. It is self-maintainable and need no manual cleanup. If the prefetch files for frequently accessed programs are deleted, then it may sometimes slower the system’s activities by taking longer duration to load a program.
Why to delete Prefetch Files :
- Windows 7 operating system may have several prefetch files. Removing few of them from your machine as well as from trash folder will surely progress the performance of your operating system. This must be executed carefully and hence the steps indicated here must be taken care and executed.
Significant Procedure to delete prefetch files in Windows 7 :
- The folder with prefetch files contains other system related files as well. Hence deleting those files may lead to chaos.
- A restore point needs to be defined before deletion. Hence go to Control Panel -> System -> System Protection and click “Create” button under “Protection Settings”.
- Kindly follow the below steps as it is and so that you don’t need to worry about a wrong action performed under system protection and we surely are not responsible for the same.
- Open File Explorer view by pressing Windows Key + E buttons in your keyboard.
- Click the 'Organize' dropdown button and select “Folder and search options” as shown below :
1. Select “View tab from “Folder Options” and select “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” option.
2. Now go to the drive where “Windows” folder is present. Here it is in C: Drive. So I have selected C:\Windows\Prefetch. Now arrange the files according to file type and select the files with file type as “PF file”. Delete the PF typed files which are very old, leave the recent PF files. Do not delete the recent dated pf files as it will surely affect the system performance.
3. After carefully selecting the files for deletion, press delete button.
4. Now the files will be moved to trash. Empty the trash bin as well and restart the machine immediately to feel the effects.