Introduction to Sql Azure
- Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing platform.
- It provides the infrastructure to build, deploy and managing applications and services.
- This is made possible with a global network based data centers managed by Microsoft.
- The provide services include PaaS and IaaS
- SQL Azure extends its support to
- Various programming languages,
- Microsoft-specific Tools and frameworks and
- Third-party based softwares.
Microsoft Azure SQL Database:
- It is a cloud-based service that offers data-storage facility which is part of Azure Services Platform.
- Azure SQL Database permits users to make relational queries against stored data.
- The data is stored in the form of structured, semi-structured, or even unstructured documents.
- Querying features includes data search, data analysis and data synchronization.
How SQL Azure Works:
- SQL Database uses a special version of Microsoft SQL Server.
- This special version allows storing multiple copies of databases with
- business continuity,
- disaster recovery with backups,
- elastic scale and
- rapid provisioning.
- Only a subset of SQL Server functionality is exposed in SQL Azure DB.
- Data types such as string, numeric, date and Boolean are supported.
- XML-based format is implemented for data transfer.
- SQL Database uses T-SQL for querying.
- Tabular Data Stream (TDS) protocol is used to access the service over the Internet.
How to use SQL Azure DB:
- Organizations can use SQL DB to build applications and transfer them to SQL Azure.
- The other way is to build applications on Windows Azure and store the data in the cloud.
- With Transact-SQL (T-SQL) query language, there is a high rate of fault tolerance.
- This eases the task of data synchronization as shown below:
Differences in SQL Azure from SQL Server.
- Differences in SQL Azure from SQL Server.
- SQL Azure doesn’t support all T-SQL commands.
- SQL Server data types like XML or functions are not supported.
- Cross-database joins is not permitted.
- Maximum allowed database size is just 50 GB.
- The present release does not perform scheduled backups and restores.