PHP - Introduction
- PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor.
- The PHP programming language is a server-side scripting language.
- The PHP language runs on the server-side. This means that the execution (read starting) of the scripts are done on the server where the web-site is hosted.
- Generally, PHP is embedded with HTML and Scripting Language.
- HTML embedded means, that you can use PHP statements (read a piece of PHP code) within an HTML code.
- PHP files are returned to the browser as plain HTML.
Characteristics of PHP :
- PHP is free and an open source software product.
- PHP supports many databases (MySQL, Sybase, Oracle and many others.)
- PHP runs on different platforms (Unix, Linux, Windows.)
- PHP is mostly support in all the web-servers used today (Apache, IIS (Internet Information Services), etc.)
- A PHP file can contain plain text, HTML tags and scripts.
- The PHP files can have one of the following extensions: .php, php3 or phtml.