Here you will find step by step guide to install new hard disk on computer. Running out of hard disk space, and also want to keep all the files that are currently on the system in perfect order? Install an extra hard disk, and see your accessible space rise- How to Install a New Hard Disk.
How to Install a New Hard-Disk:
- Initially, make backups of your existing system files. You may never know when these may come in handy.
- If your current hard disk may go down the pan, you’ll be ready to have something to start with again. Also, if you want to use all your data that is on this drive, back it up anyway; ready to be transferred to the new drive. Also, create a system disk for your PC.
- This can be created by going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, and then the “System Disk” tab.
- The instructions should be there for you. “WHEN I INSTALLED MY EXTRA HDD I DDNT FOLLOW ANY OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED…. INSTEAD JUST OPEANED THE CABINET AND LOOKED FOR THE WIRES AND CONNECTED THEM …ANY ONE CAN TELL WHERE THE CORRECT WIRE GOES …. THE MAIN THING IS TO MAKE SURE THAT THE BROAD THIN GRAY WIRE OR DATA CABLE SLOT WITH THE WORD ‘P2′ IS CONNECTED TO THE EXTRA HDD”
- Once you are prepared on the software side, turn off your PC and open the case to your PC (Please take proper precautions at this point).
- Anti-static wristbands and other such devices should be used. If you don’t have these, just make sure you are properly earthed, and know what you are going to do. Oh, and please turn off the PC properly.
- I don’t want you dying on me, literally!). The hard disk is the metal box shaped thing that is either the size of the floppy drive or it could be the size of the CD-Rom drive. It should be easy to spot, because it might even say “Hard Disk” on it. At this point, look and see where you can put the new drive, and how you are going to connect it up. If there is no hard drive in there, then don’t worry; I’ll explain how to connect it up as well.
Look at the end of the HDD. It should have a load of sockets and pins for you to play around with. At a certain point, you ought to have the capacity to see a few pins with a few jumpers connected, and a sticker on another side revealing to you what design of jumper positions implies what to the PC. On the off chance that you are joining it to the same IDE link as your current drive, then set it to “Slave”, generally, select “Ace” and fit it as near the begin of the link as could be allowed (The begin of the link being the place it’s associated with the motherboard). This link is an “IDE” link, and must be fitted two approaches to the drive itself. Search for a sign as to which side stick number 1 may be (Look for stickers once more!) and embed the IDE link in that attachment and pins, with the red side as near stick 1 as would be prudent. At that point, simply fit it into the PC, as you would do some other drive (For the thickest, which implies connecting it to the case utilizing the mounting screws that ought to accompany the PC. Before you do this however, note down the additional data on the highest point of the drive, as a rule the quantity of chambers, heads, parts, and some other data. Next, interface one of the power links to the HDD (These are the 4 link accumulations with connectors appended, which leads from the power supply unit), and close the PC case.
Next, you should disturb CMOS. Turn on the PC, and hit whatever key you are advised to at the bootup to get to the CMOS menus. At the point when in there, pick the important area (We can’t state precisely, in light of the fact that there are a wide range of CMOS set-ups around) and select “IDE Auto-recognition”. In the event that the hard plate does not show up on it, then you should enter the data physically. Utilize the notes you gathered from the highest point of the hard circle prior to tell the PC what the hard plate is.
Afterwards, insert the system disk (“THE BACKUP DISK THAT CAN BE CREATED BY RIGHT CLICKING A DRIVE4R AND SELECTING FORMAT AND THEN THE CREATE BACKUP DISK OPT”) prepared earlier and “Save” your editing of the CMOS and exit. The system disk should work instead of the original hard disk (Or if you are installing from scratch, then it will boot from the A: anyway).
Type “fdisk” at the dos prompt. This runs a program called, surprisingly, FDISK. Tell the PC which drive i.e. the hard circle is the new one (Please pick the right one now. Commit an error, and you truly could utilize those reinforcements!), and after that disclose to it what segments you need (Don’t worry about it, as there are full instructions while you are running the program). When this is done, you can reset your PC (Except if this drive is being installed from scratch and is on its own. If so, then you can organize the drive by typing “format c:” This will format the drive for you, but what’s really good is if you type “format c: /s” rather, as this installs some important files at the same time. Then, just follow the instructions to install whatever OS you will utilize.)
If you are adding this drive as a second HDD, Go into Windows (Or any other OS, but the instructions may be different!) and then format from “My Computer” like you would a floppy disk. if in doubt contact me here or don’t do at all.” SOD will not be held responsible for any data lost in this process”
How to Install a New Hard-Disk 2015-There you go A newly installed hard disk, with minimum effort. And don’t take the risk of formatting any of the drives u know.