node js - Node js v8 - node - node js tutorial - webnode
What is V8 ?
- It is written in C++. Now a days, it is used in many projects such as Couchbase, MongoDB and Node.js.
Learn Node js - node js Tutorial - nodejs v8 image - node - Node js Examples
V8 in Node.js ?
- The Node.js V8 module represents interfaces and event specific to the version of V8.
- It provides methods to get information about heap memory through v8.getHeapStatistics() and v8.getHeapSpaceStatistics() methods.
- To use this module, you need to use require('v8').
Node.js v8.getHeapStatistics() Example:
- The v8.getHeapStatistics() method returns statistics about heap such as total heap size, used heap size, heap size limit, total available size etc.
Node JS Tutorial File: v8-example1.js
Node JS Output :
Learn Node js - node js Tutorial -node.js v8 example1 - node - Node js Examples
Node.js v8.getHeapSpaceStatistics() Example
- The v8.getHeapSpaceStatistics() returns statistics about heap space.
- It returns an array of 5 objects: new space, old space, code space, map space and large object space.
- Each object contains information about space name, space size, space used size, space available size and physical space size.
Node JS Tutorial File: v8-example2.js
Node JS Output :
Learn Node js - node js Tutorial - node.js v8 example2 - node - Node js Examples
Related nodejs article tags - node js - node js tutorial - node js examples
Memory limit of V8 in Node.js:
- Currently, by default v8 has a memory limit of 512mb on 32-bit and 1gb on 64-bit systems. You can raise the limit by setting --max-old-space-size to a maximum of ~1gb for 32-bit and ~1.7gb for 64-bit systems.
- But it is recommended to split your single process into several workers if you are hitting memory limits.