- Malta people - Maltese
- Malta capital / capital of Malta - Valletta
- Malta language - Maltese
- Malta population / population of Malta - 2014 estimate 445,426
- Malta currency - Euro
- British rule in Malta lasted until 1964 when the island became independent. The Maltese adopted the British system of administration, education and legislation.
- Ten years later, in 1974, Malta became a Republic within the British Commonwealth.
- Until the 1960s, the Maltese economy depended mostly on the British services and the Naval Dockyard. After independence, industry and tourism advanced at a fast pace, and today Malta and Gozo have established an industrial and services economy and flourishing tourist enterprises.
- In 1990, Malta applied for membership of the European Union and formally joined the EU in May 2004.Malta adopted the Euro as its currency.
- Malta is a popular tourist destination with its warm climate, numerous recreational areas, and architectural and historical monuments, including three UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum, Valletta, and seven Megalithic Temples, which are some of the oldest free- standing structures in the world.
There are three types of visa for travelling to Malta, depending on the type of journey you intend to make:
- Airport Transit Visa (ATV)
- These visas allow the holder to cross the international transit zone of Malta’s International Airport. Nationals from countries included in the list of countries with the obligation to carry an Airport Transit Visa must be in possession of this visa.
- These visas allow the holder to transit through or remain in the territory of Malta and all other Schengen Member States for a maximum period of three months (90 days) within a period of six months (180 days) from the entry date into the Schengen area.The validity period of a Schengen (short-term) visa is determined in accordance with the length of travel, for a maximum of 5 years. According to expected number of stays, Schengen (short-term) visa may be issued as follows:
- single entry - entitles to a single uninterrupted stay during the period stipulated in the visa, which may not exceed than 3 months;
- double entry visa - entitles to two stays during the period stipulated in the visa, while the sum of the lengths of stay may not exceed (3) three months within a half-year;
- multiple entry visa - entitles to multiple stays during the period stipulated in the visa, while the sum of the lengths of stay may not exceed (3) three months within a half-year.
- These visas allow the holder to stay in the territory of Malta for periods longer than three months (90 days). All third-country nationals who wish to enter Malta in order to work and/or study must be in possession of this type of visa.
- Applications for long-term or “D” visas are not subject of representation arrangements and the applicants should contact the Central Visa Unit for further information as to which of Malta’s diplomatic missions and consular posts would accept their visa applications.
HOW TO APPLY
- Before applying, please ensure you are very clear on your ‘purpose of visit’ – do remember we are here to assist and help you through the entire visa application process but we are not permitted to advise or guide you on choosing a visa category. Since our work is primarily administrative in nature, we have no say on whether you will be granted a visa and how long it will take to process, as this is entirely the prerogative of the Embassy.
- Complete your visa application form and affix your photograph. You may download the Visa Application Form. Online Forms are not accepted by VFS. Also, please mention name along with surname of father and spouse, if applicable. Please ensure that you furnish the required documents. You may download document checklist from this website. Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
- All applicants can visit any of the Malta Visa Application Centre during working hours. Applicants can submit their application fees by cash.
- As from 2 November 2015, Applicants requesting a Schengen visa will have to appear in person in order to provide biometric data (fingerprints and digital photography).
- Live photograph will be captured for all the applicants however there are Exemptions from the obligation of fingerprinting for the following categories of applicants only:
- Children under 12,
- Persons for whom the collection of fingerprints is physically impossible;
- Sovereigns and other senior members of a royal family, Heads of State and members of the national Governments (with their official delegations and spouses) if they travel for official purposes)
- Child below 1year need not be present physically for biometrics. Parents or representative can submit the application along with two photographs as per specifications
- Child above 1year should be present physically so that his live photograph can be captured as part of biometrics.
- Track your application online
- Collect your passport from the Visa Application Centre or avail the option of courier delivery. Please ask the officer at the VFS Desk regarding more details about the courier facility
- Please ensure you read the security regulation notices before you visit the Visa Service Centre.
- Your passport must not be older than 10 years also it must be valid for at least three months longer than the intended stay. Your passport must have at least two blank pages to affix the visa.
- The Visa application form must be complete & duly signed by the applicant. (Both the parents must sign in case of minor applicants).
- Please ensure that you have photocopies of all your documents in equal number as the number of applications. For e.g. For 4 applicants, there should be 4 copies of the sponsorship letter & other docs.
- Please keep two photocopies of the passport ready before you reach the counter.
- Please keep the exact amount of change for the visa fee & VFS logistic fee ready with you.
- Please mention the name of the applicant & the passport number behind the draft (1 draft per applicant).
- Please fill out the courier address & SMS request slip in order to avail of the mentioned services.
- A COPY of the all the documents should be attached in EACH application.
- If you are visiting more than one Schengen country, the transfer & accommodation details for all the countries should be mentioned & highlighted in the itinerary.Please highlight the specifics appended below in addition to Name of applicant & Passport Number on all the mentioned documents.
- Itinerary: Date of Departure & Arrival & Check in & Check-out dates at the hotel
- Insurance: Date of birth /Duration of cover/Amount of coverage
Visa fees applicable are listed in the table below:-
|VISA CATEGORY||VISA FEE IN INR||VISA FEE IN EURO|
|Schengen Visa (Adult)||4,800||60|
|Schengen Visa (Child between 06-12 years of age)||2800||35|
- The applicable visa fee in Indian Rupee is as per the current exchange rate. It is subject to change without any prior notice.
- The visa fee and VFS charges are payable only in Cash.
VFS Service charge:
- These charges are to be paid in cash only.
- Applicants will be charged 1631/- INR (inclusive of service tax of 15 %) per application with biometrics.
- Bank Handling Charges 102/- INR (inclusive of service tax of 15 %) per application.
- There is an optional courier facility available at 300/- INR (inclusive of service tax of 15 %) per passport. Applicants submitting their visa applications in Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata or Chennai will be required to pay the outstation charges of 350/- INR.
- There is an optional SMS service available at 81/- INR (inclusive of service tax of 15 %) per application.
- The Premium Service Lounge facility is available at the cost of Rs.1255 (inclusive of taxes) per application. This charge is in addition to the visa application fee.
- Please note that VFS Charges (Logistics, Courier, SMS & Bank handling) are non-refundable
- If you have already submitted an application for a visa at the Malta Visa Application Centre, you can track your application.
- Applications accepted at Malta Visa Application Centre will be submitted the next working day at the Embassy. The time required to process Visa Applications is a minimum of 15 working days under normal circumstances (excluding day of submission at VFS).
- Applications accepted at Malta Visa Application Centre Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Chandigarh & Kolkata will be submitted on 2nd working day at the Embassy of Malta. The time required to process Visa Applications is a minimum of 17 working days under normal circumstances (excluding day of submission at VFS).
SCHEDULE AN APPOINMENT
- All applicants are required book an appointment online to submit their visa application at the Joint Schengen visa application center.
- Important: As part of the visa application procedure, from 2 November 2015 applicants will need to provide Biometric fingerprint data along with a digital photograph. If you have temporary injuries on your fingers, applicants are advised to wait until the injuries have healed before you book your appointment. Henna on fingertips may also mean we are unable to get a clear scanned image and should be removed or allowed to fade before your appointment date.
- Before you make an appointment, you should carefully read the visa application process available on the website to submit your visa application and supporting documents at the visa application center.
- If you have missed your appointment on the scheduled day, the system will not allow you to reschedule or cancel and you will require to book a new appointment after 24 hours.
- Please make sure you arrive at the visa application center 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. Applicants are not allowed to be accompanied inside the visa application center. The only exceptions to this are those accompanying children under 18 years-of-age or applicants who need special assistance for health reasons or disability.
- If you are part of a family or group, each member of the family or group must make an individual appointment. For example, if you are a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 children you must make 4 individual appointments.
- VFS appointment system is compatible with most popular browsers. VFS will soon introduce appointment scheduling through call Centre for the ease of applicants.
- The appointment allows you to submit your Visa Application, however you will be served as per the token provided to you at the Visa Application Centre.
- Please be available at the Visa Application Centre, not more than 10 minutes before the appointed time.
OTHER MALTA VISA INFO
- If your Malta job search and application for the Malta visa and Malta work permit have been successful, you should start preparing for the Malta job interview.
- Do not forget to take a look at Malta dress code because how you dress is the one of the most important attribute in being hired.
- Check the job interview tips do's and don'ts, and find out why people are not hired for available jobs.
- In addition, on the international info, job search, visa, work permit, cover letter, CV & resume, job interview and dress code pages you will find many useful tips for overseas job seekers.