[Solved-2 Solutions] Obtaining IP Address Error in Android
- You may have come across a constant and annoying “obtaining ip address ” message when trying to connect to a network.
- And you may have also tried to fix it by downloading certain apps that claim to “fix” this error. Don’t download such app as it could sometime cause more problems than it can solve. You can fix this error yourself in just a few steps.
- Whenever you turn on your Wi-Fi, your device tries to the nearest connection. It scans and finds a network and tries to obtain IP address from it, but it disconnects and start to scan for network again. This is what this error is all about.
- This is due to the Wi-Fi router that couldn’t assign an IP address for your device. To fix this error follow the following steps:
Learn android - android tutorial - static ip address - android examples - android programs
For Android version 2.x to 4.0:
- Go to Settings and select Wireless and Networks. Turn on Wi-Fi and enter Wi-Fi settings.
- Press Menu and select Advance.
- Check Use Static IP and assign the values according to the screenshot.
- You can use IP address of your choice.
For Android version 4.1 and higher:
- Go to Settings and tap on Wi-Fi.
- Turn on the Wi-Fi and connect to a network.
- Long press on the connected network and select Modify Network.
- Check Show Advance Options.
- On IP Settings drop down menu, select Static.
- Assign IP of your choice but leave other variable untouched.
- This should solve the obtaining IP address error. Make sure you select a unique IP address so that it won’t conflict with other connected devices.