[Solved-4 Solutions] The Operating System Returned the Error 21(The Device is Not Ready.) While Attempting ‘GetDiskFreeSpace’ on ‘A:\’
- The error might be trying to get information from A drive on the machine (which is a floppy drive).
- This is due to a disk being offline or not being online either at the time SQL Server started, or had transitioned states after SQL Server has been online.
- We could also offline->online the database as well and it would work.
- This problem might be due to
"Fast startup" power options.
Learn sql - sql tutorial - service - sql examples - sql programs
- It's a Windows technique to reduce the boot time; Fast Startup combines elements of a
cold shutdown and the hibernate feature
- This can be caused by the "account Credentials" provided during Installation/setup of each SQL instance:
Learn sql - sql tutorial - window - sql examples - sql programs
This can be seen under Windows Services. The SQL08 was set to use the "Local System Account" whilst the failing SQL17 was set to "NETWORK ACCOUNT" during setup. So just change that and restart the SQL service here (or restart instance in SQL browser).