What is mesothelioma?
- The cancer, mesothelioma is a rare, aggressive form of cancer that primarily develops in the lining of the lungs or the abdomen.
- It is a cancerous or malignant tumour that starts in either the lining of certain organs or the cells of the mesothelium.
- More than 80% of malignant mesothelioma are caused by contact with asbestos.
- This mesothelioma cancer is discovered at a later stage of its maturity.
- The malignant mesothelioma is diagnosed and treated, the better prognosis a patient has.
The causes of mesothelioma
- The causes of mesothelioma lung cancer disease occur in people and the mesothelioma risk factors are,
- mining asbestos,
- produce products with asbestos,
- work using asbestos products,
- survive with asbestos workers, or
- employed in constructions containing asbestos.
- Mostly around 40 years of exposure, the lung cancer mesothelioma starts.
- mesothelioma causes other than asbestos - Washing the clothes of someone worked with asbestos too increases the risk of catching asbestos mesothelioma.
- causes of mesothelioma other than asbestos - Other risk factors comprise genetics and infection caused by the simian virus.
Types of mesothelioma
- The disease, lung cancer mesothelioma is categorized by
- The position of cancer in the body
- The cell structure
1. The position of cancer in the bodyThe first category identifies the tumor locations in the body.
- pleural mesothelioma - found in the lungs.
- peritoneal mesothelioma - found in the abdomen.
- percardial mesothelioma - found in the heart.
- testicular mesothelioma - found in the membrane lining that covers the testicles
2. The Cell StructureThe second category is by the three types of possible cell structure the mesothelioma asbestos cancer may have:
- sarcomatoid, or
Mesothelioma Death Rate
- In 2013 about 50,000 people had mesothelioma cancer and 34,000 died from the disease.
- Rates of pleural mesothelioma and malignant mesothelioma are
- higher in australia,
- higher in united kingdom, and
- lower in japan.
- It occurs in about 3,000 people per year in the United States.
- Usually asbestos mesothelioma is found with male employees than females.
- Rates of disease have increased since the 1950s.
- mesothelioma diagnosis commences at the age of 65 and people survive for a max of around 70 years.
- The disease was very rare before the commercial use of asbestos.