apache tutorial - Php handlers in Apache - apache - apache web server - apache server - apache2
Apache - Php handlers
- mod_phpis the oldest PHP handler, it makes PHP part of apache and does not call any external PHP process. This module is installed by default in every Linux distribution repository, so enabling/disabling this module is very easy.
- If you are using FastCGI as your PHP handler, you can set multiple versions of PHP to be used by different accounts on your server.
- FastCGI i.e. mod_fastcgi is an extension of mod_fcgid, where as mod_fcgid is a high performance alternative of CGI i.e. mod_cgi . It starts sufficient number of instances of CGI to handle concurrent web requests. It also uses suexec to support different users with their own instances of PHP and improves web security.
- Running ruby files on Apache needs mod_ruby to be enabled. Apache can also handle ruby files through FastCGI. It is possible to use multiple version of ruby with the help of mod_fcgid i.e. FastCGI.
- You can also install apache passenger and configure Apache to use it for serving ruby pages.
- (Phusion Passenger also known as “passenger” is a free web server module that is designed to integrate with Apache and Nginx )