555 Timer LED Flasher - What is 555 timer ?
What is 555 timer ?
- The 555 timer is one of the most remarkable integrated circuits ever developed. It comes in a single or dual package and even low power cmos versions exist - ICM7555.
- Common part numbers are LM555, NE555, LM556, NE556. The 555 timer consists of :
- Two voltage comparators
- Bi-stable flip flop
- Discharge transistor and
- Resistor divider network.
Features of the IC 555 Timer
- These ICs operate in a broad range of supply voltages ranging from + 5 V to + 18 V.
- They Reduce or supply 200 mA of load current.
- The maximum power dissipation is 600 mW.
- The operating temperature is 0 to 75 °C.
- The exterior components are chosen accurately so that the time intervals can be made in quite a few minutes along with the frequencies above several hundred KHz.
- The o/p of an IC 555 timer IC can drive a TTL (transistor-transistor logic) due to its high current o/p.
- The duty cycle of the 555 timer is variable.
- The max power dissipation for each package is 600 mW and its two inputs like a trigger and reset have logic compatibility.