- Usually the severity is defined in terms of financial loss, damage to environment, company’s reputation and loss of life.
- Bug/Defect severity can be defined as the impact of the bug on customer’s business.
- It can be Critical, Major or Minor. In simple words, how much effect will be there on the system because of a particular defect.
Test Priority Vs Severity
- Priority of a defect is related to how quickly a bug should be fixed and deployed to live servers.
- Defect priority is defined as how soon the defect should be fixed. It gives the order in which a defect should be resolved.
- Developers decide which defect they should take up next based on the priority. It can be High, Medium or Low.