- Mutation Testing is a software testing where we mutate (change) certain statements in the source code and check if the test cases are able to find the errors.
- It is a type of White Box Testing which is mainly used for Unit Testing.
- The changes in mutant program are kept extremely small, so it does not affect the overall objective of the program.
- The aim of Mutation Testing is to assess the quality of the test cases which should be robust enough to fail mutant code. This method is also called as Fault based testing strategy as it includes creating fault in the program.
- Mutation Testing is widely used for languages such as Java and XML.
What is Mutation Testing
Benefits of Mutation Testing
- Mutation Testing carries a entire new kind of errors to the developer’s attention.
- Mutation Testing is the most powerful method to detect hidden defects, which might be impossible to identify using the conventional testing techniques.
- Tools such as Insure++ help us to find defects in the code using the state of the art.
- Increased customer fulfillment index as the product would be a smaller amount of errors.
- Debugging and Maintaining the product would be more easier than ever.