Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Accomplished and result oriented professional with over 26 years experience in managing Logistics,Transportation and Fleet operations in India & Tanzania. Proficient in distribution planning, transportation solutions and in developing & implementing supply chain strategies to support business growth and profitability. Currently working with NBCL as General Manager, heading distribution and fleet operations across Tanzania. Successfully introduced new business verticals in Transport business for various organizations, resulting in substantial revenue generation and growth.
- Workshop Management
- Distribution Materials Management
- Manpower Planning
- Transport Planning
- Performance management
- Team Mentoring
- Financial Planning
1.) General Manager
Nyanza Company Ltd – January 2015 to Present
Reporting to Director:
Managing a team of local and expatriate employees.Managing administrative staff, sales team, security guards, drivers, workshop managers and other logistics staff and the business development team Heading logistics and distribution operations of the group in Tanzania
- Strategic development, budget planning and marketing.
- Monitoring warehouse operations, fleet & workshop management.
- Developing the sale of spares, consumables and tyres.
- Identify and develop customers for transportation business.
- Ensuring effective customer management and retention.
- Managing advertising and promotional campaigns.
- Ensure cost effective and profitable operations for the company’s truck fleet.
- Create & update fleet policies and procedures including safety standards (OSHA).
- Ensure company compliance with policies and procedures
- Built the distribution business from 370000 USD to 1 million USD per month.
- Reversed losses to profits, driving 20% YOY revenue gains through 2015 and profitability at over 20% of revenue total.
- Achieved business of 12M USD through tire sales with a net margin of 15%
- Achieved business worth 7M USD in the sale of auto spares with a margin of 38%
- Contributed in achieving record turnaround time of vehicles; improved the same by 40%
- Played a major role in improving on time delivery by 50% Improved truck utilization from 60 to 90%
- Reduced inventory levels by 15%
2.) Assistant General Manager-Operations
Hyundai India Ltd – Chennai, Tamil Nadu – November 2011 to December 2014
Reporting to Senior G.M:
Managing fleet logistics of 200 car carrier vehicles with capacity of 12 cars per truck. Directing pan India distribution from factory at Chennai to 120 dealers pan India.
- Develop policies, programs and procedures for efficient operations of transportation system for Hyundai which is the 2nd largest car manufacturer in India
- Manage dispatch operations at the company‘s open warehouse of 300 acres
- Managed multi location fleet and maintained vehicle facility in line with high security procedures
- Monitored and managed daily movement of import and export containers, ensured service delivery is in line with agreed targets and customer expectations
- Implemented measures to improve service and provided competitive advantage for the company
- Led identification and management of resources to maximize volume opportunities
- Oversaw vehicle maintenance, MOTs and tax payments, vehicle replacement policy, OH&S activities and audits
- Contributed in improving turnaround time by 20% and on-time delivery by 30%
- Tapped the Transport business on National basis by opening 4 new regional offices across the states resulting in business worth 1M USD in the inaugural year itself with a net margin of 18%
- Developed new business from major clients like Wipro for Towers and DIESL for FMCG products resulting in increase in revenue and maximum utilization of fleet
- Ensured high levels of satisfaction with company’s product and service standards among key customers
- Achieved substantial cost savings by providing customized optimized transport solutions.
3.) Manager – Operations
Sicaln Logistics Ltd – March 2005 to November 2008
- Handling coal shipments by sea from Australia and Indian mines of 70,000 metric tons a day
- Handling the road transportation of coal, managing a fleet of 60 trucks (trippers) from Ennore Port to Chennai for the Tamil Nadu State Electricity Board
- Provided strong leadership and technical expertise in implementing maintenance and continuous improvement programs
- Spearheaded maintenance of Pay Loaders, Excavators, Dozers and Tippers.
- Ensured availability of vehicles for daily operations while managing within budget constraints to ensure long term viability.
4.) Branch Manager
Tamil Nadu State Transport Ltd – May 1990 to March 2005
- Coordinated and managed vehicle fleet maintenance programs and performance with a thorough knowledge of fleet maintenance and repair methods and practices, including preventive maintenance, overhaul, and repair Contained significant costs through strategic procurement and bottom-line negotiation while fleet asset purchases
- Created route plans and monitored assignment of vehicles and staff to ensure judicious distribution of jobs
- Conducted analysis of vehicle status and made recommendations for timely replacement, for lowering vehicle-operating expenses and reducing idle time
- Evaluated incident reports and implemented measures to reduce road calamities
- B.E.( Mechanical) From Chennai University in 1989