How to Password Protect Folders in Windows 10 – This is an age when statistics security & privacy is of paramount significance, thinking about we hear news of data leaks & hacks all the time. while it’s important for our smartphones, it’s even extra vital with regards to our desktops and laptops. That’s due to the fact, not like smartphones, we tend to shop our personal, in addition to sensitive files which can be big in size, on a computer. Therefore, it’s very crucial that we secure our information on our Windows PCs and laptops.
While you may set up locks in your consumer account on a computer, it’s no longer the maximum fool evidence way. Nicely, you could always installation password protection for folders. Thankfully, there are a few concrete methods to password protect folders and files on Windows 10:
Lock Folders on Windows 10 with Folder Guard
Note: while there’s a way to natively lock folders on Windows 10, it’s not the most consumer pleasant way (entails Command set off utilization) and everyone with a decent knowledge of Windows could be able to hack via it. So, we’d endorse you to use numerous software available for home Windows 10, that allow customers password shield folders. Folder guard is arguably the great out of the lot, so right here’s the way to password defend folders on Windows 10 the usage of Folder Guard:
- Firstly, you will have to download and install Folder Guard on your Windows 10 PC. The software is available for a free trial of 30 days, after which you will have to buy a licence ($39.95).
- Open Folder Guard and it will prompt you to set a master password, which will help you to uninstall the software or in case, you forget a folder’s individual password.
- Once you have entered a master password,choose a folder or file to lock by clicking on the “Protect a folder or file“. Click “Next” after you have chosen the folder to lock. The good thing is, you can lock multiple folders & files with different passwords with Folder Guard.
- Then, choose the password for the folder. You can even choose to protect a folder or file without a password by blocking its access or changing its visibility.
- After you are done, hit the “Protect” button at the top panel of the software. When you close the application, make sure to click yes, when asked whether you want to continue protection or not.
- Then,try and open the folder you just locked and you will see a prompt asking you to “enter your password” to unlock it. Just enter your password and the folder will be unlocked.
Note: To unlock a folder by entering the password, you will have to double click on the folder in the Explorer Window. If you try opening the folder by creating a shortcut, you will get an access denied message.
Whilst you near the folder, you’ll get a prompt asking in case you want to lock the folder or depart it unlocked, In case you don’t get that prompt, you may go to the Windows’ notification tray and right click on at the Folder Guard icon and choose “Run”, so that you can bring alternatives to pause folder protection or lock all unlocked folders. additionally, you don’t should worry about every body uninstalling Folder protect because like most folder lock software, whilst you try to uninstall it, the software program asks for the master password earlier than you can pass go head and do it.
There are some other cool folder lock software for Windows that you should definitely check out:
Folder Lock is a pretty good software that lock folders, files or even drives. Locking documents with Folder Lock hides them and you could only be able to see them when you unlock them from the software program. It helps you to create a master password, which you’ll need to open the software program every single time. Folder Lock not only locks folders however also helps you to encrypt files, shield USB drives, shared documents, clean history and extra.
2.Easy File Locker
Easy File Locker is another good software to lock folders and files. The software provides you options to hide a folder, make it inaccessible, deny any changes and make it undeletable. All you have to do is, set a password in Easy File Locker and select a file or folder, choose among the options of Access, Write, Delete, Visibility and click “Start Protection”. Once you have locked a folder or file, you will only be able to unlock it by entering the password in the software.
There are some extra folder locking software available for Windows 10 like SecretFolder, LockAFolder and more, so if you don’t like the above-mentioned options, you can attempt these choices. Moreover, you can even use a zip tool like 7-Zip to compress a folder and add password protection to it through archive options.
Windows 10 gives a way to secure your folders and that’s through encrypting them. Encrypting a folder won’t add password protection to a folder however it will ensure that the folder cannot be accessed through other user bills. The folder will then be most effective reachable through your person account and password.
To encrypt a folder, all you have to do is right click on the folder and hit “Properties“. In the General tab, select Advanced and check “Encrypt content to secure data”. Then, click “Ok”, after which the encryption attributes will be applied to the folder. Once done, you will see a lock symbol over your folder’s icon.
Secure your files and folders with password protection
Those are some pretty clean approaches to password protect folders in Windows 10. So, go head and start locking folders through Folder guard or every other 0.33 celebration apps we stated or you could simply go in advance and encrypt them. Make your choice and if you recognize of another guidelines to password protect folders in home Windows 10.