How long can you commit to work with us ?
Various forms in which this question can be asked are:
- How long do you expect to remain employed with this company?
- How long do you think you will be in this role?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
Reason for asking this question is:
- They spend money on you, so they need you to stay.
- Every time someone leaves, that job needs to be replaced with someone else, costing more time, money, and efficiency.
Points to Emphasize:
- Talk about how your past work experiences have prepared you for a long- or short-term position.
- If you might move because of a military spouse or other reason, be honest in your response.
- Emphasize any skills that will help you be effective during your time with the company.
- If you can, say how your timeline makes you a good candidate for the job.
How to answer this question is:
- Saying you will stay until you are no longer a contributor is the safest and best answer, because it conveys commitment but does not give an actual timeframe. Remember, you are under no obligation to stay unless you are under a contract, and the interview is not and will never be a contract.
- “I plan to stay until my there is nothing left for me to contribute to the company’s future success.”
Mistakes You Should Avoid:
- Do not imply that your continued work with the company is dependent on money or the existence of better offers.
- Do not forget to relate your work to future benefits for the enterprise.
- Be careful to answer confidently when asked how long you will be in a potential position.
- Do not mislead the hiring manager about how long you intend to stay with the business.
- I will work with this company as long as my presence benefits both the company and mine in parallel. So that company gains good results and I can be in a position to improve my skills.
- I’m confident that this company can offer me a fulfilling and exciting career and I want to remain with you as long as I’m having a positive impact on the enterprise.
- As far as I can tell, this company has everything I’m looking for. I enjoy this type of work and the benefits at this company are great. I’m looking for a long term position and if there are opportunities for advancement and growth here, then I want to stay for a long time.