Android tutorial - Android Text To Speech - android app development - android studio - android development tutorial
Learn android - android tutorial - Android text to speech - android examples - android programs
Definition of TextToSpeech:
- Text to speech, abbreviated as TTS, is a form of speech synthesis that converts text into spoken voice output.
- Text to speech systems were first developed to aid the visually impaired by offering a computer-generated spoken voice that would "read" text to the user.
- In android, you can convert your text into speech by the help of TextToSpeech class.
- After completion of the conversion, you can playback or create the sound file.
Constructor of TextToSpeech class
- TextToSpeech(Context context, TextToSpeech.OnInitListener)
Methods of TextToSpeech class
- The commonly used methods of TextToSpeech class are as follows:
|int speak (String text, int queueMode, HashMap params)||converts the text into speech. Queue Mode may be QUEUE_ADD or QUEUE_FLUSH. Request parameters can be null, KEY_PARAM_STREAM, KEY_PARAM_VALUME etc.|
|int setSpeechRate(float speed)||it sets the speed for the speech.|
|int setPitch(float speed)||it sets the pitch for the speech.|
|int setLanguage (Locale loc)||it sets the locale specific language for the speech.|
|void shutdown()||it releases the resource set by TextToSpeech Engine.|
|int stop()||it interrupts the current utterance (whether played or rendered to file) and discards other utterances in the queue.|
- You need to implement TextToSpeech.OnInitListener interface, for performing event handling on TextToSpeech engine.
Method of TextToSpeech.OnInitListener Interface
- There is only one method in this interface.
|void onInit (int status)||Called to signal the completion of the TextToSpeech engine initialization. The status can be SUCCESS or ERROR.|
Android TextToSpeech Example
- Let's write the code to convert text into voice.
- Drag one textview, one edittext and one button for the layout. Now the activity_main.xml file will look like this:
- Let's see the code to speak the given text.