Android tutorial - Android XML Parser | SAX Parser- android app development - android studio - android development tutorial
Learn android - android tutorial - Android xml parser - android examples - android programs
- A parser is a piece of program that takes a physical representation of some data and converts it into an in-memory form for the program as a whole to use.
- Parsers are used everywhere in software.
- An XML parser is a software library or package that provides interfaces for client applications to work with an XML document.
- An XML Parser is a parser that is designed to read XML and create a way for programs to use XML.
Types of XML Parsers
- These are the two main types of XML Parsers:
1. DOM (Document Object Model)
- A DOM document is an object which contains all the information of an XML document. It is composed like a tree structure. The DOM Parser implements a DOM API. This API is very simple to use.
2. SAX (Simple API for XML)
- SAX (Simple API for XML) is an event-driven online algorithm for parsing XML documents, with an API developed by the XML-DEV mailing list.
- SAX provides a mechanism for reading data from an XML document that is an alternative to that provided by the Document Object Model (DOM).
- The SAX parser cannot be used to create the XML file, It can be used to parse the xml file only.
Advantage of SAX Parser over DOM:
- It consumes less memory than DOM.
Disadvantages of SAX:
- We have no random access to an XML document since it is processed in a forward-only manner
Example of android SAX Xml parsing
- Drag the one textview from the pallete.
- Now the activity_main.xml file will look like this:
- File: activity_main.xml
- Create an xml file named file.xml inside the assets directory of your project.
- File: file.xml
- Now write the code to parse the xml using sax parser.
- File: MainActivity.java