Android tutorial - datepicker in android - android app development - android studio - android development tutorial
Learn android - android tutorial - Datepicker in android - android examples - android programs
- Android Date Picker allows you to select the date consisting of day, month and year in your custom user interface.
- For this functionality android provides DatePicker and DatePickerDialog components.
- In Android, DatePicker is a widget used to select a date.
- It allows to select date by day, month and year in your custom UI (user interface).
- If we need to show this view as a dialog then we have to use a DatePickerDialog class. For selecting time Android also provides timepicker to select time.
- A date picker, popup calendar, date and time picker, or time picker is a graphical user interface widget which allows the user to select a date from a calendar and/or time from a time range.
- The typical practice is to provide a text box field which,
- when clicked upon to enter a date,
- pops up a calendar next to or below the field,
- allowing the user to populate the field with an appropriate date,
- provides a text box with an icon of a calendar such that when the icon is clicked on, the calendar (or time field) appears.
- The date picker provides several advantages, including:
- allowing the user to enter a date by merely clicking on a date in the pop-up calendar as opposed to having to take their hand off the mouse to type in a date.
- validation of dates by restricting date ranges, e.g. only after today and for two weeks later, or only for dates in the past.
- a date range can be entered such that for a set of "from-to" date fields,
- if the "from" field is filled, the "to" field cannot be set to a date before the "from" field, or if the "to" field is filled,
- the "from" field cannot be set to a later date than the "to" field.
- Only legal dates can be entered, e.g. February 29, 2100 can't be entered, nor could June 31.
- Date format confusion is eliminated, e.g. is 7/4/10 July 4, 2010, April 7, 2010, or April 10, 2007?
- Android DatePicker is a widget to select date.
- This control allows you to select date by day, month and year. Like DatePicker, android also provides TimePicker to select time.
- The android.widget.DatePicker is the subclass of FrameLayout class.
Android DatePicker Example
- 1. DatePicker
- Open “res/layout/main.xml” file, add date picker, label and button for Demo - android emulator - android tutorialnstration.
- File: res/layout/main.xml
2. Code Code
- File: MyAndroidAppActivity.java
3. Demo - android emulator - android tutorial
- Run the application.
- Result, “date picker” and “textview” are set to current date.
- Click on the “Change Date” button, it will prompt a date picker component in a dialog box via DatePickerDialog.
- Both “date picker” and “textview” are updated with selected date.