Android tutorial - XML Parsing in Android | Domparser - android app development - android studio - android development tutorial
What is XML Parsing?
- Parsing XML refers to going through XML document to access data or to modify data in one or other way.
What is DOM Parser?
- The Document Object Model is an official recommendation of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
- It defines an interface that enables programs to access and update the style, structure and contents of XML documents.
- XML parsers that support the DOM implement that interface.
- We can parse the xml document by dom parser also. It can be used to create and parse the xml file.
usage of dom?
- You should use a DOM parser when:
- You need to know a lot about the structure of a document
- You need to move parts of the document around (you might want to sort certain elements, for example)
- You need to use the information in the document more than once
Advantage of DOM Parser over SAX
- It can be used to create and parse the xml file both but SAX parser can only be used to parse the xml file.
Disadvantage of DOM Parser over SAX
- It consumes more memory than SAX.
Example of android DOM Xml parsing
- Drag the one textview from the pallete. Now the activity_main.xml file will look like this:
- File: activity_main.xml
- Create an xml file named file.xml inside the assets directory of your project.
- File: file.xml
- Let's write the code to parse the xml using dom parser.
- File: MainActivity.java