python tutorial - Python Applications - learn python - python programming
- Python as a whole can be used in any sphere of development.
- Let us see what are the major regions where Python proves to be handy.
1) Console Based Application
- Python can be used to develop console based applications. For example: IPython.
- interactive Oracle database client
2) Audio or Video based Applications
- Python proves handy in multimedia section. Some of real applications are: TimPlayer, cplay etc.
- cplay - Curses-based Linux multimedia jukebox.
- seer - Conference recording software and screencast tool.
3) 3D CAD Applications
- Fandango is a real application which provides full features of CAD.
- FreeCAD is an Open Source CAx RAD based on Open Cascade, Qt and Python.
- It features some key concepts like Macro recording, Workbenches, ability to run as a server and dynamically loadable Application extensions and its designed to be platform independent.
- Fandango is planned to be a full featured CAD program.
- It has a C++ core extensible by scripts. Currently the memory core for entity management is ready, scripting works wonderfully thanks to the ease of embedding and extending of Python.
- A KDE+XML user interface is now in place, controlling the keyboard and mouse.
4) Web Applications
- Python can also be used to develop web based application.
- Some important developments are: PythonWikiEngines, Pocoo, PythonBlogSoftware etc.
- BAOW - A lightweight content manage system based on Python language and SQL database, help you to develop complex web applications.
- a library and a corresponding application (consisting of a client and a server) for client-server PDF creation from text over the Internet or an intranet
5) Enterprise Applications
- Python can be used to create applications which can be used within an Enterprise or an Organization. Some real time applications are: OpenErp, Tryton, Picalo etc.
- A complete open source ERP & CRM; accounting, stock management, sales, and modular framework with over 750 modules. Originally called tinyErp, then OpenERP; there is also a variant for Medical.
- A data analysis toolkit for DBMS-type of data. Includes embedded Python scripting and wxWidgets GUI.
6) Applications for Images
- Using Python several application can be developed for image. Applications developed are: VPython, Gogh, imgSeek etc.
- A PyGTK-based painting program (or image editor) with support for pressure-sensitive tablets/devices. This application appears to no longer exists.
- Photo collection manager with content-based search. You simply sketch the image you want to find.
- There are several such applications which can be developed using Python
7) Mobile Applications
- Ready to use GSM /GPS tracking PCB with Python engine on board with support of test server based on Google Maps
- an app for jailbroken iOS devices that lets one backup and restore the settings and data of App Store apps
- a GPS-capable mapping/routing application for mobile devices.
8) Office Applications
- ebook library management software with syncing to ebook readers, ebook format converter, editor and viewer.
- Calibre can download news from the web and convert them into e-books using pre-built or user-written Python recipes.
- Note-taking, simplified. Notalon is a note-taking software for students, lifting the burden of formatting so that you can focus on taking notes.
9) Personal Information Managers
- Cell phone data manipulator. Can sync phonebook, calendar, wallpaper, ring tone, etc.
- An open source application for the organization and management of tasks.
10) Science and Education Applications
- A complete IDE, set of libraries, simulator, and course materials for exploring robotics in Python. Currently aimed for higher education, but work has begun for use in k-12 as well.
- A workflow-based metabolomics data analysis package. Includes support for principal components analysis (PCA), partial least squares regression (PLSR) and discriminant analysis (PLS-DA), metabolic pathway mining and data visualizations.