Delegates in C# - c# - c# tutorial - c# net
What is Delegates in C#?
- Delegates in C# are similar to function or pointers which are given in C or C++
- Hence this is said to be a reference type variable which can be defined as per how to hold the reference to a method
- The reference in C# can be changed only at runtime and it cannot be changed at compile time.
- They are used specifically for implementing events and they are also used for call-back methods.
- System.Delegate class is used to implicitly derived all delegates in C#
Learn c# - c# tutorial - process in c# delegate - c# examples - c# programs
- This delegate declaration determines the method which can be referenced by the delegate in C#
- Declaring Delegates can be refer to a method which can have the same signature as a delegate in C#
- Here is an example as per how to declare a delegate
Description of the Example:
- The delegate which is given in the example can be used to reference any method which can return a int type variable and also has a single string parameter
Learn c# - c# tutorial - declaration in c# delegate - c# examples - c# programs
- After the delegate is declared, the delegate object should be created with a new keyword and also it should be associated with a particular method in C#
- The argument is passed to the new expression which is similarly written to a method call, but it is done without arguments to the method
- Here is an example to instantiate delegate:
Description of the program:
- The program which is given below is a program which demonstrates declaration and instantiation of a delegate.
- This program is used for reference methods which takes an integer parameter and it returns an integer value
Multicasting of a Delegate
- Here are the properties of delegates which are used to invoke a delegate by using invocation list of methods which are used in delegates.
- Delegate objects are objects which can be composed by using the "+" operator in C#
- Delegate calls are composed and it can call two delegates where the two delegates are composed.
- Delegates of the same type can be composed while delegates of different type cannot be composed
- There is a way to remove a component delegate from a composed delegate and this can be using the "-" operator
- This method which is used to invoke a delegate by using invocation list of methods and also by using the properties of delegates is known as multicasting of a delegate.
- The program which is given below show us the demonstration of a delegate
Use of a Delegate
- It can be used to reference methods which return nothing and takes string as input and this can be used for delegate printString
- Hence we used this delegate printString to call two methods and hence they are
- The first method is used to print the string to the console
- The second method prints to the file
- The program which is given us demonstrate the use of delegate