ABM Full Form in Medical | What is the Full Form of ABM
ABM Full Form - Anti Balistic Missile
- Here, you’ll get the solution of following ABM related questions: full form of ABM , what is the full form of ABM , full form of ABM in banking
Anti Balistic Missile
- ABM stands for Anti Balistic Missile. It's a surface-to-air missile, specifically designed to intercept and counter ballistic missiles, i.e. a missile for missile defence.
- This term is additionally used for an antimissile system designed to counter ballistic missiles.
- However, generally, the missiles or systems designed to counter intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) are referred to as ABM.
- India has also launched an Indian ballistic missile Defence Programme to develop a multi-layered ballistic missile defense system to protect the country from ballistic missile attacks.
- It's an initiative in response to the missile threats from some countries, mainly the Pakistan.
- It's a double-tiered system which comprises land and sea- based interceptor missiles; the Prithvi Air Defence (PAD) missile for high altitude interception and therefore the Advanced Air Defence (AAD) Missile for lower altitude interception.
- This technique is meant to be ready to intercept missiles launched from a distance of 5,000 kilometers.
- It's also equipped with a network of radars for early warning and tracking and therefore the command and control posts.
- The PAD was tested for its accuracy, range and impact in November 2006 and therefore the AAD was tested in December 2007.
- After testing the PAD, India became the fourth country to have successfully developed an anti-ballistic missile system after the US, Russia and Israel.
Some Popular Counter-ICBM systems/ABM
Anti Balistic Missile
- The Russian A-35 Anti-Ballistic Missile System :
- Its development started in 1971. It uses Gorgon and Gazelle missiles to intercept and counter ICBMs.
- The U.S. Ground-Based Midcourse Defense (GMD) :
- It's developed to defend the U.S. homeland from long-range ballistic missile attacks. The present GMD system mainly provides protection against the missile attack by North Korea.
- Arrow-3 Missile Defence System :
- It belongs to Israel. It became operational in 2017. It's designed for exo-atmosphere interception of ballistic missiles including the ICBMs.