IMO Full Form | Full Form of IMO
i) IMO Full Form - In My Opinion
- Here you’ll get the solution for the following IMO related questions, full form of IMO , full form of IMO app , full form of IMO application , full form of IMO exam
In My Opinion
- IMO stands for In My Opinion.
- It's one among the commonly used internet slangs by users in online chatting and in emails, and text messages.
- It's also used in less formal business correspondence or emails for the shortened quoting of "In My Opinion." This show that this not someone else's opinion, it's yours.
- Peter : IMO, we should do it.
- Riya : IMO, we should go to a movie.
ii) IMO Full Form - International Maritime Organization
International Maritime Organization
- IMO stands for International Maritime Organization.
- Formerly, it had been called the Inter-Governmental Maritime Consultative Organization (IMCO).
- It's the specialized agency of the United Nations which aims to improve maritime safety and stop marine and atmospheric pollution caused by ships.
- It's responsible for the safety, security, and environmental performance of international shipping.
- IMO was established through a convention adopted in Geneva in 1948. It came into effect in 1958 and is predicated within the United Kingdom.
- As of 2017, it's 172 states and three associate members.
- The slogan of IMO: "Safe, secure and efficient shipping on clean oceans."
Need for IMO
- Shipping is a world industry. It can work smoothly when the regulations and standards are implemented, adopted, and agreed on a worldwide basis.
- IMO is that the forum that deals with these procedures and ensures safe, secure, and efficient international shipping industry by providing a regulatory framework. This framework is fair, effective, and universally adopted and implemented.
- The IMO makes policies associated with international shipping, encouraging shippers for safety, security and environmental performance, innovation, and efficiency.
- IMO has provided a platform to member states, civil society, and therefore the shipping industry to work together so as to contribute towards a green economy and growth in a sustainable manner.
- IMO guidelines cover all aspects of international shipping like ship design, construction, equipment, operations, disposal, including safe, secure, and energy-efficient international shipping.
- The promotion of sustainable shipping and maritime development is one among the main priorities of IMO within the next few years.
- The organization comprises an Assembly, a Council, and five main Committees. The Assembly is that the highest governing body of the Organization.
- It elects the council, which supervises the work of the organization.
- The governing body of IMO comprises 172 member states, which meet every two years.
- This organization also deals with legal issues related to international shipping, like liability and compensation matters, and facilitates international maritime traffic.
- Although IMO adopts the policy, it doesn't enforce it. It's when governments accept an IMO convention; it makes these policies national law and enforces it.