WAN Full Form | Full Form WAN | What is Full Form Of WAN
WAN Full Form - Wide Area Network
- Here you’ll get the solution for the following WAN related questions, full form of WAN , full form of WAN in computer , what is the full form of WAN , full form of WAN in computer language
Wide Area Network
- WAN stands for Wide Area Network.
- It's a network that covers a large geographical area consisting of two or more LANs or MANs.
- These networks are established with leased telecommunication circuits, during which two sides which are connected have routers that connect the LAN of each side together in a network to facilitate communication.
- The roots of WAN are connected to the U.S Department of defense which developed ARPANET to let researchers communicate and share computer resources remotely.
- The connection is circuit-switched telephone lines, radio emission transmission or glass fiber transmission.
- It’s used to exchange data with users everywhere the world, they will be client, employee, buyer, seller, student, etc. WAN has the power to transmit data, image, audio data, and video data over large distances.
Characteristics of WAN
Characteristics of WAN
- Broader Reach : The reach of WAN in terms coverage of geographic area is extremely high which may be a neighborhood, country or the world itself.
- Higher Capacity : The capacity of WAN in terms of number of LANs or WANs connected in a network is very high, which ends up in connection of large number of user over different location all around the world.
- Use of Public Carrier : WAN uses telephone network, cabled system, satellites etc for connection and transmission purpose which are easily available.
- Resource Sharing : WAN enables its users to share data and information over large area. Computer resources are often accessed remotely which makes transmission and exchange of data very easy.
Advantages of WAN
- It covers large geographic area which enhances the reach of organization to transmit data quickly and cheaply.
- The data are often stored in centralized manner due to remote access to data provided by WAN.
- The travel charges that are needed to hide the geographic area of work is minimized.
- WAN enables a user or organization to attach with the world very easily and allows to exchange data and do business at global level.
Disadvantages of WAN
- Traffic congestion in Wide Area Network is extremely high.
- The fault tolerance ability of WAN is extremely less.
- Noise and error are present in great deal due to multiple connection point.
- The data transfer rate is slow as compared to LAN due to large distances and high number of connected system within the network.