IELTS Full Form | What is the Full Form Of IELTS
IELTS Full Form - International English Language Testing System
- IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It’s an international standard test to judge the proficiency within the English language for non-native English language speakers who want to study or work in a country where English may be a language of communication.
- It was established in 1989. It uses a nine-band scale to reflect the amount of proficiency; half scores like 5.5 are possible.
- It’s recognized by the universities and employers of many countries like Australia, Canada, Ireland, the USA, the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
- IELTS is one of the two major English language tests within the world. The second is TOEFL.
Versions of IELTS
- There are two versions of IELTS.
- Academic Version
- General Training Version
Versions of Ielts
- Academic version : The academic version is designed for students who want to enroll in universities and other institutions of higher studies and for professionals such as doctors, engineers, and nurses etc. who want to serve in English speaking countries.
- General Training version : The general training version is designed for those who look for non-academic training, or for immigration purposes.
Eligibility Criteria for IELTS Examination
- The minimum required age to take the IELTS examination is 16 years.
- You should be holding a valid passport.
- You have to choose your kind of IELTS exam, based on your purpose of migration.
Advantages of taking an IELTS preparation course
- Here are some benefits that you get if take a preparation course before actually attending the test.
- Taking a preparation course will make you more confident, which will, in turn, make a good difference in your score.
- You may be comfortable in your language proficiency but you could still get confused if you’re not familiar with some questions that are asked in the test. So then taking this preparation course will help you in time managing.
- This preparation course will help you improve your speaking skills which will be useful abroad, while you migrate.
- This course not only improves your vocabulary and grammar in the exam but also in natural conversations.
Test structure and duration for IELTS
- IELTS tests all of the English skills of a candidate like reading, listening, writing and speaking. Accordingly, the test is split in 4 parts and therefore the total duration of test is about 3 hours.
- Listening : 40 Minutes
- Reading : 60 minutes
- Writing : 60 minutes
- Speaking : 11-15 Minutes
- This test is offered multiple times in a year and its scorecard is valid for two years. There are more than 900 test centers in over 130 countries. Over 2 million people across the world take this test in a year.