CFL Full Form | What is the Full Form of CFL
CFL Full Form - Compact Fluorescent Lamp
- CFL stands for compact fluorescent lamp.
- It's an energy saving lamp that consumes less power than the old incandescent lamps. It consists of a glass tube and two electrodes.
- The glass tube contains mixture of argon gas and mercury vapor and its inner surface has phosphor coating.
Compact Fluorescent Lamp
How a CFL works
- CFL has different mechanism to provide light than the incandescent lamps. In an incandescent lamp, current passes through a wire filament.
- It heats the filament and therefore the filament glows to produce light.
- In CFL, the current passes through the tube containing the mixture of argon gas and mercury vapor.
- The current activates the mercury vapor which produces ultraviolet. The ultraviolet light then excites the phosphor coating on the inside of the tube which produces light.
Types of CFL
- CFL are often of two types:
Types Compact Fluorescent Lamp
- Integrated : In an integrated CFL, the tube, the electronic ballast and the bayonet fitting are combined in one single unit.
- Non-integrated : In a non-integrated CFL, the electronic ballast is permanently installed within the luminaries. It's not combined with the bulb so only the bulb is required to be changed at its end of life.
A brief history of CFL
- For CFL there's a major revolution in light history, the CFL is a generation of electrical Lamp. And history was produced within the 1890 Century by peter cooper Hewitt.
- However, at the time the CFL price was supposed to be high, that the CFL was also redesigned in 1939 and later it had been cheap.
- The CFL is updated again within the 1976 century and price became cheap.
Benefits of CFL
Benefits of Compact Fluorescent Lamp
- Efficient :
- It uses 60-80% less energy than incandescent lamps.
- Durable and Cost-effective :
- It lasts more than ordinary bulbs and consumes less electricity, so it's less expensive within the end of the day.
- Eco-friendly :
- It helps reduce CO2 emission as CFL causes less CO2 emission as compared to a light bulb.
- Versatile :
- Cfls are highly compatible and versatile. They are available in a variety of shapes, sizes and powers to suit different home decors and purposes. You'll also easily install them in a kind of light fixtures like table lamps, ceiling lamps, dimmer lamps etc.
- Produces less heat:
- It produces less heat as most of the energy is converted into light so very less converts into heat.