GPS Full Form | What is the Full Form of GPS | What is GPS Full Form
GPS Full Form - Global Positioning System
Global Positioning System
- GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It's a satellite based navigation system which allows ground users to work out their exact location, velocity, and time 24 hours each day, altogether weather, all over the world.
- It's maintained and developed by the U.S. Department of Defense, and was basically designed to help soldiers and military vehicles but after some decades it made accessible to anyone having a GPS receiver.
- It's widely wont to track vehicles and follow the simplest route from one place to a different place by Airlines, shipping firms, courier companies, drivers etc.
- The first GPS was developed within the 1960s to help the ships folks Navy in navigating the oceans more accurately.
- The first system started with five satellites which enabled ships to see their location once every hour.
Parts of GPS
- It are often divided into three different segments which are as follows:
- Space Segment : It refers to satellites. There are around 24 satellites distributed in six orbital planes.
- Control Segment : It refers to stations on Earth developed to maintain and monitor the satellites.
- User Segment : It refers to users that process the navigation signals received from the GPS satellites to calculate position and time.
Working of GPS
- There are 24 satellites plus some spare satellites in orbit with a period of 12 hours (two orbits per day) at a height of about 11,500 miles.
- Satellites are placed such four satellites are going to be above the horizon, from any point on Earth.
- In order to receive the knowledge GPS device will first establish a reference to 3 to 4 satellites. GPS satellite broadcast a message including location of the receiver.
- GPS receiver combines the message from different satellites to calculate the exact position using the method called triangulation.
- GPS satellites require an unobstructed line of sight for the communication. Hence, this technology isn't ideal for the indoor use.
- There some devices use nearby cell towers and public Wi-Fi signals. This technology is named LPS (Local Positioning System) and may be a substitute of GPS.
- To determine the exact position.
- To navigate from one place to a different.
- It can track the movement of an people or an object.
- Used to create maps of the world.
- It gives precise timing to the world.