XLPE Full Form | Full Form of XLPE
XLPE Full Form - Cross Linked Polyethylene
Cross linked Polyethylene
- XLPE is Cross Linked Polyethylene. Sometimes it's denoted as PEX or XPE also. It's a kind of polyethylene. Polyethylene may be a polymer material.
- The monomer used to make this polymer is ethylene. Polyethylene polymer chains are produced by addition polymerization of ethylene monomers.
- XLPE is produced from polyethylene polymer chains by adding a cross linking agent. XLPE may be a good alternative for PVC.
Properties of XLPE
- Low-temperature Impact Strength
- Abrasion Resistance
- Crack Resistance
- Reduced hardness and Rigidity (compared to non-cross linked polyethylene)
- Chemical Resistance
- Scratch Resistance
Benefits of using XLPE
- Can work with a good range of voltages.
- Low material cost for production.
- Provides mechanical protection.
- Thermal resistance allows it to be used even at considerably high temperatures.
- It’s easy to handle.
- Maintenance free.
- Resistant to moisture.
- Weather resistance, thus, corrosion resistant.
- However, there are some drawbacks when using this material also. Sunlight can degrade XLPE. The degradation is considerably rapid. And also, this material is often damaged by some insects.