SSL Full Form | Full Form of SSL
SSL Full Form - Secure Sockets Layer
- Here, you’ll get the solution for the following SSL related questions: full form of ssl , full form of ssl certificate , full form of ssl in computer , what is the full form of ssl
Secure Sockets Layer
- SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer. It’s the quality security technology (a protocol) that gives secure communication between web servers and browsers (web clients) over an insecure network, like the web.
- It maintains the privacy and integrity of the data exchanged between an online server and browsers.
- The web server is required to possess an SSL certificate to determine a secure SSL connection.
- SSL encrypts network connection segments which are above the transport layer, which is a component of network connection above the program layer.
- SSL works through an asymmetric cryptographic mechanism, in which the online browser creates a public key and a private key.
- The general public key, which is called certificate signalling request (CSR), is placed in the file. The private key's generated for the recipient only. It makes the data, which is shared between users and sites, impossible to read. It uses encryption algorithms to scramble data in transit, to stop hackers from reading it.
- This data is also your bank login id and password, credit card details, social media login details, and other financial information, etc. Example, once you shop online, the details you share with the websites remain safe.
- SSL is the predecessor of Transport Layer Security (TLS), a protocol for the secure transmission of internet data.
- TLS (Transport Layer Security) is an updated and safer version of SSL. You’ll see the HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) within the URL of a web site, which is secured by an SSL certificate.
- To check the details of the certificate, you'll click on the lock symbol on the browser bar to the left of the URL
- Internet Engineering Task Force has discontinued both SSL 2.o and 3.0 in 2011 and 2015 respectively and replaced them by the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol.
Benefits of SSL
Benefits of SSL
- Data Integrity :
- The data cannot be tempered as it isn't sent as a clear text, so even if it's intercepted, it couldn't be decoded.
- Data Privacy :
- The privacy of data is maintained using a series of protocols, including the SSL Record Protocol, SSL Handshake Protocol, SSL Change CipherSpec Protocol, and SSL Alert Protocol. So, tip, like Social Security number, credit card number, login details, will be transmitted securely.
- Client-server Authentication :
- It uses the standard cryptographic technique to authenticate the client and server.