ITIL Full Form | Full Form of ITIL
ITIL Full Form - Information Technology Infrastructure Library
- ITIL stands for Information Technology Infrastructure Library.
- It's a library or a set of best practices for IT service management (ITSM) that emphasizes aligning IT services with the wants and objectives of the businesses, even as they change.
- It's designed to standardize the selection, planning, delivery, and maintenance of IT services within a business.
- In short, it's a framework of best services for delivering IT services that helps improve efficiency and achieve predictable service delivery.
Information Technology Infrastructure Library
- The five major components or stages of the ITIL Service Lifecycle are as follows:
- Service Strategy : It emphasizes the ITIL service lifecycle and tells the way to design, develop, and implement IT service management.
- Service Design :This component or stage describes the way to design services and processes.
- Service Transition : This stage describes the way to manage the transition of a replacement or updated service.
- Service Operation : It allows you to make sure that services are delivered and running smoothly and reliably.
- Continual Service Improvement : This stage covers the way to re-align IT services with the changing business needs. So, it's an organized approach to manage IT services that help businesses manage risk, improve customer relations, establish cost-effective practices, and make a steady IT environment to facilitate growth and change.
History of ITIL
- ITIL was developed by British government's Central Computer and Telecommunications Agency (CCTA) within the 1980s when data centre’s had become decentralized and adopted geographically diverse architectures.
- In the beginning, the ITIL comprised over 30 books, which were condensed to seven books in 2000, and it kept undergoing changes.
- Eventually, ITIL 4 was introduced in 2019, with the same focus on automating processes, improving service management, and integrating the IT department into the business as most of the business functions depend upon technology to get work done. Furthermore, it also updated the framework as per modern technology, software, and tools.