JPEG Full Form in Computer | Full Form Of JPEG in Computer
JPG/JPEG Full Form - Joint Photographic Experts Group
Joint Photographic Experts Group
- JPEG is usually called JPG. It stands for Joint Photographic Expert Group , a joint working group of International Standardization Organization ( ISO ) and International Electro technical Commission ( IEC ).
- It’s a typical method of compressing graphic images. It’s used most frequently with its file name extension .jpg or .jpeg. It’s generally used to compress digital images.
- It’s a lossy compression technique because some information is lost while compression. It can reduce up to five of the actual size with the loss of some information
- JPEG is mostly used to send photographs on the internet because of its great compression technique.
- It supports a maximum image size of 65535x65535 pixels. JPEG file format is supported on the World Wide Web with the file suffix ".jpg".
- It’s also used as a term for any graphic image file created by using a JPEG standard.
Features of JPEG
- JPEG was developed by Joint Photographic Experts Group.
- It is converted to many formats.
- Mostly used extensions for JPEG format is: .jpeg, .jpg, .jpe, .jif, . jfif
- JPEG compresses a picture into a stream of bytes and can also decompress back to a picture. JPG standards specify the codec which defines how the image is compressed into stream of bytes and decompressed back to a picture.
- The data format is independent from resolution, image contents and ratio.
- The JPEG scheme has 29 distinct coding processes.
- JPEG file format is specified in ISO standard 10918.
Benefits of JPEG
- JPEG file format is in good use for a more extended period, and it is transferred significantly.
- JPEG file format is reconciled with almost any program that manages images.
- JPEG file format is reconciled to almost all hardware tools, e.g. printers etc. So printing the digital pictures in JPEG format is extremely quick, transparent and simple.
- JPEG file format is suitable for the broad range of clear sighted picture colors, with many color & contrast combos.
- The applications of JPEG format are given below:
- For the picture or images which have several colors, JPEG is the best format to use.
- JPEG format is used to store or transmits the graphical digital content.
- With the help of the JPEG format, we will transmit the images on the internet.
- JPEG format is supported in all websites.
Advantages of JPEG Format
- There are several advantages of using JEPG Format and they are listed below:
- JPEG Format is transferred easily.
- Support all the hardware tools like printer etc.,
- Supports a broad range of colors.
- JPEG format is compatible with almost all browsers.
- The compression format doesn’t affect the quality of the image.
- Consumes less space when compared to other image formats.
- JPEG is compatible with every computer, mobile devices, camera devices and also photo editors .
Disadvantages of JPEG
- Image may loss important details from the image because of lossy compression, that is, the image is dived into 8×8 blocks, and then much information is discarded.
- JPEG is not a flexible application, because JPEG is not efficient for image which contains texts, sharp lines or edges. JPEG is good for portraits and nature photographs mainly.
- Quality of image is reduced after JPEG compression, mainly for text based images. For other images it’s not effect so much if we are not seeing the image in detail.
- JPEG standard doesn't support opacity or transparency, most of the cases his transparent portion of any image is consider as white area in JPEG.
- JPEG doesn't handle Black & White and motion pictures.