ICU Full Form in Medical | What is ICU Full Form
ICU Full Form - Intensive Care Unit
- ICU stands for Intensive Care Unit. It’s a special department of a hospital that gives intensive care medicines and life support to patients suffering from a serious injury or illness.
- Intensive care units take care of the patients with the most severe and life-threatening injuries or illness which needs constant and close monitoring by a team of specialized doctors and nurses.
- This team is trained in the care of critically ill or severely injured patients. A patient is transferred directly in ICU from an emergency department if required.
- It’s usually done if the condition of the patient deteriorates constantly. An ICU is equipped with various medical equipments, some of which are as follows:
- Mechanical Ventilators
- Dialysis Machine
- External Pacemakers
- Syringe Pump
- Infusion Pump
- ECG ( Electrocardiogram)
- Anesthesia Machine
- Blood Warmer
- Patient Monitor
- Feeding tubes, suction tubes etc.
ICUs also have their own staffs like physical therapists, respiratory therapists, anesthesia specialist and pharmacists etc.
Injuries and illnesses that require special treatment in ICU
- Severe heart problems like heart attack, extreme low pressure level.
- Problem in respiratory system due to asthma or complicated pneumonia.
- Accidental cases which need surgery and immediate action.
- Patients in Coma.
- Liver problems and kidney failure cases which needs dialysis.
- After a major surgery.
There is a special ICU for the babies who born prematurely or born with a serious illness. It’s called neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
ICU is additionally known as Intensive Therapy Unit or Intensive Treatment Unit (ITU) or Critical Care Unit (CCU). The first ICU practitioner was Peter Safar.