ROM Full Form | Full Form of ROM in Computer
ROM Full Form - Read Only Memory
- Here you’ll get the solution for the following ROM related questions: full form of ROM , full form of ROM in computer , what is the full form of ROM , ROM full form
Read Only Memory
- It's an example of nonvolatile memory. ROM full form is Read Only Memory. It’s a category of data-storage medium used in computers and other electronic devices.
- Read Only Memory (ROM), also called firmware, is an integrated circuit programmed with specific data when it's manufactured. The instructions for starting the computer are housed on Read only memory chips.
Why Need ROM
- ROM chips are used not only in computers, but in most other electronic items also. Because data is fully incorporated at the ROM chip’s manufacture, data stored can neither be erased nor replaced.
- This suggests permanent and secure data storage. However, if an error is formed in manufacture, a ROM chip becomes unusable. The most expensive stage of ROM manufacture, therefore, is creating the template
- If a template is quickly available, duplicating the ROM chip is extremely easy and affordable. A ROM chip is additionally non volatile so data stored in it's not lost when power is turned off.
- ROM may be a semiconductor memory that's capable of operating at electronics speed.
Types of ROM
Types of ROM
- Short for programmable read-only memory, a chip on which data are often written only once. Once a program has been written onto a PROM, it remains there forever.
- Unlike RAM , PROMs retain their contents when the pc is turned off. The difference between a PROM and a ROM (read-only memory) is that a PROM is manufactured as blank memory, whereas a ROM is programmed during the manufacturing process.
- To write down data onto a PROM chip, you would like a special device called a PROM programmer or PROM burner.
- The method of programming a PROM is usually called burning the PROM.
- Acronym for erasable programmable read-only memory, and pronounced EE-PROM, EPROM may be a special type of memory that retains its contents until it's exposed to ultraviolet.
- The ultraviolet clears its contents, making it possible to reprogram the memory. To write down to and erase an EPROM, you would like a special device called a PROM programmer or PROM burner.
- Short type of electrically erasable programmable read-only memory. EEPROM may be a special type of PROM which will be erased by exposing it to an electrical charge.
- Like other types of PROM, EEPROM retains its contents even when the power is turned off. Also like other kinds of ROM, EEPROM isn't as fast as RAM.