CPCB Full Form | Full Form of CPCB
CPCB Full Form - Central Pollution Control Board
- CPCB stands for Central Pollution Control Board.
- It's a statutory organization which was constituted in September 1974 under the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974.
- It was also entrusted with the powers and functions under the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981.
- The CPCB is led by its chairman who is nominated by the Central Government.
- As of May 2018 Shri. S.P Singh Parihar is that the Chairman of the CPCB.
Central Pollution Control Board
- CPCB provides technical services to the Ministry of Environment and Forests.
- As per the Water Act, 1974, and the Air Act, 1981, the key objectives of this organization is to promote cleanliness of streams and wells in several parts of the States through prevention, control and abatement of pollution and to improve the standard of air so as to stop , control and reduce air pollution within the country.
- The CPCB has an automatic monitoring station in New Delhi at ITO intersection.
- It regularly monitors the Resizable Suspended particulate matter (RSPM), carbon monoxide (CO), Ozone (O3), sulphur dioxide (SO2), Suspended particulate matter (SPM) etc.
- Besides, it also runs National Air Quality Monitoring Programme (NAMP) to determine the current status of air quality and to manage and regulate pollution from Industries and other similar sources to maintain air quality standards.
- Advice the Central Government on matters associated with prevention and control of water and air pollution
- Plan and execute nation-wide programs to stop and control the water and air pollution.
- Co-ordinate the activities of the State Board and resolve their disputes.
- Provide training to the persons engaged within the activities related to prevention and control of water and air pollution.
- Organize mass awareness programs on the prevention, control or abatement of water and air pollution.
- Collect, compile and publish technical and statistical data on water and air pollution and measures devised to regulate the water and air pollution.
- Prepare manuals, codes and guidelines regarding treatment and disposal of sewage and trade effluents.
- Lay down, modify or annul the standards for stream or well in consultation with the respective State Governments.
- Lay down the standards for the standard of air and perform similar functions as prescribed by the government of India.