ICMR Full Form | Full Form of ICMR
ICMR Full Form - Indian Council of Medical Research
- Here you’ll get the solution for the following ICMR related questions, full form of ICMR , what is the full form of ICMR , full form of ICMR in nutrition , ICMR full form
Indian Council of Medical Research
- ICMR stands for Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- It's an apex body in India for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research.
- It's funded by the government Of India through the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and is one among the oldest medical research bodies in the world. It's headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- Translating research into action for improving the health of the population.
- To generate, manage and disseminate knowledge.
- To give emphasis on research on the health problems with the vulnerable and disadvantaged sections of the society.
- To adopt and encourage the utilization of advanced biology tools in addressing health problems of the country.
- To encourage innovation regarding diagnostics, treatment, vaccines and other methods for prevention of diseases.
In 1911, the Govt. Of India established the Indian Research Fund Association (IRFA) so as to sponsor and coordinate medical research within the country. After independences, many important changes were made within the organization and it had been renamed the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) in 1949.
- The council has 26 Research Institutes/Centers to hold out Intramural research. These research institutes include 21 mission-oriented national institutes, established in several parts of the country, and 5 regional medical research centers.
- The mission-oriented national institutes address research on specific health issues like cholera, leprosy, tuberculosis, diarrhea, viral diseases, malaria, nutrition, reproduction, oncology, medical statistics etc.
- For promoting extramural research, ICMR took the following initiatives:
- Establishes Centers for Advanced Research in several areas of research
- Task force studies, which are national projects, are formulated taking into consideration the national priority areas of research. Its task forces and other committees help scientists collaborate like an expert and infrastructure available to undertake research.
- Open-ended research is conducted on the idea of applications, for grants-in-aid, received from scientists of medical colleges, universities and non-ICMR research institutes.
- ICMR promotes human resource development in biomedical research through Research Fellowships, Short-term Research Studentships, and Short-Term Visiting Fellowships and various other training programmer and workshops.
- Furthermore, the council offers the designation of Emeritus Scientist to the retired scientist and teachers to enable them continue their research work or start a new research. It also awards prizes to scientists for his or her contribution to biomedical research. At the present, it's offering 38 awards, 11 out of which are exclusively for the young scientists.