GIF Full Form | Full Form of GIF | What is the full form of GIF
GIF Full Form - Graphics Interchange Format
Graphics Interchange Format
- GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format. ( full form of gif )
- It's a bitmap image having a file extension .gif. It's widely used for still images and animations on the World Wide Web.
- It had been introduced by CompuServe in 1987. The main motto of its development is to develop a platform independent image format.
- GIF images are compressed by using Lempel-Ziv-Welch (LZW) lossless data compression technique. This system is used to reduce the file size without degrading the standard of the image.
- GIF images uses 8 bit format which supports 256 colors. These colors can't be mixed to form new colors.
- It's very fashionable on internet due to its small size and portability feature.
- It's considered best for line art with limited colors, images with large flat areas of color and for images that require to be animated.
Versions of GIF
Versions of GIF
- GIF has only two versions:
- The first version was introduced in 1987 as GIF87a.
- The second version was an extended version and came in existence in 1989. It had been called GIF89a and it's used until today because the standard format.
- GIF are suitable for sharp-edged line art (such as logo) with a limited number of colours.
- It uses the LZW technique for data compression so there's no fear of data loss and it favors flat areas of uniform color with well-defined edges.
- It are often used in small animations and low resolution film.
- It also used in games.
- It supports transparent backgrounds so it are often used to blend GIF files with website background colors.