PH Full Form | Full Form of PH
PH Full Form - Potential of Hydrogen
- PH stands for Potential of Hydrogen. It refers to the proton concentration during a solution.
- It's the measure of the acidity or alkalinity of an answer. The PH value ranges from 0 to 14 on a ph.
Potential of Hydrogen
- The PH values below 7 indicate acidity and values above 7 indicate alkalinity.
- Acidity increases because the PH value decreases and alkalinity increases because the PH value increases.
- An answer with PH 1 is going to be highly acidic and with PH 14 is going to be highly alkaline.
- A neutral solution has ph of seven, e.g. Pure water at 25℃ has PH of seven.
PH of Acid and Base
- The PH of the answer features a range from 0 to 14.
- Solutions with a PH value varying from 0 to 7 on the PH are called acidic solutions.
- Solution with a PH value starting from 7 to 14 is understood as basic solutions.
- On a PH, solutions with a possible of hydrogen value equal to 7 are referred to as neutral solutions.
- Solutions with a PH-value of 0 are considered to be extremely acidic. Additionally, the acidity decreases as the ph value increase from 0 to 7 while solutions with a ph value equal to 14 are known to be strongly alkaline solutions. The acid and base intensity depends on the amount of H+ and OH- ions produced. Acids furnishing more H+ ions are known to be strong acids, and the other way around.
Importance of PH
- A living organism can withstand only a limited range of ph changes, and any longer ph adjustments will make life difficult. For example : In the case of acid rain, the ph of the water is a smaller amount than 7. It increases the ph of river water because it flows into a river which hinders the survival of marine life.
- The human stomach contains acid, which helps the digestion of the food. Because the stomach releases tons of HCL we feel a lot of pain and discomfort during indigestion. It might be minimized by using antacids.
- Often the bacteria present in our mouth lower the ph of our mouth by generating acids by food particle degradation. Therefore, by maintaining the ph, we are told to wash our mouths with toothpaste that are basic to stop their decay.
- In the case of bee-sting, we feel tons of pain when the bee injects the methanoic acid through its sting. Therefore, we are usually recommended to use baking soda or other mild bases to the surface because it helps to take care of the surface ph.
How ph is Measured
- PH measurements are often made using paper or another type of ph paper known to vary colors around a particular ph value.
- Most indicators and ph papers are useful only to inform whether a substance is an acid or a base or to identify ph within a narrow range.
- A universal indicator may be a mixture of indicator solutions intended to provide a color change over a ph range of 2 to 10.
- More accurate measurements are made using primary standards to calibrate a glass electrode and ph meter.
- The electrode works by measuring the electric potential between a hydrogen electrode and a typical electrode. An example of a typical electrode is chloride.
Uses of ph
Uses of Ph
- Ph is used in lifestyle also as science and industry.
- It's used in cooking (e.g., reacting baking powder and an acid to form food rise), to style cocktails, in cleaners, and in food preservation.
- It is vital in pool maintenance and water purification, agriculture, medicine, chemistry, engineering, oceanography, biology, and other sciences.