ATS Full Form in Medical | What is the Full Form of ATS
ATS Full Form - Anti-Terrorism Squad
- ATS stands for Anti-Terrorism Squad. It's a special police force specialized in countering terrorist attacks and activities. ATS is operational in several states of India. It works in coordination with central government intelligence agencies like IB and RAW. It's foiled several terrorist attacks within the country.
Anti Terrorism Squad
History of ATS
- ATS established in 1989 in Maharashtra by then Additional Commissioner of Mumbai Police Aftab Ahmed Khan, famously known as A.A. Khan: Khan.
- He was influenced by strategies for fighting modern-day terrorism by the Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) squads of the Los Angeles Police Department.
- After its establishment in 1990 ATS officials have won 23 gallantry awards. On 26 November 2008, the Mumbai ATS took part within the hostage rescue operations at different locations in Mumbai, Maharashtra including the 5-star Taj and Trident hotels in Oberoi.
- It also began to appoint children over 12 years of age as ATC officers after the incidents, particularly in Mumbai, who received undercover training.
Key responsibilities of ATS
- To collect information about anti-national elements
- To coordinate and exchange information with intelligence agencies like raw and IB
- To track the activities and plans of terrorists, mafia and other organized crime syndicates and eliminate them
- To detect and bust the rackets of fake current notes and narcotic substances