AWACS Full Form | Full Form of AWACS
AWACS Full Form - Airborne Warning and Control System
Airborne Warning and Control System
- AWACS stands for Airborne Warning and control system., It's a mobile, long-range radar surveillance and center for air defense.
- It helps Air Force of a country detect missiles and aircraft of enemies. It's called an eye fixed within the Sky because it can carry out surveillance up to ,400 km under all-weather situations and may monitor 60 different targets simultaneously.
- They're designed to detect hostile aircraft, cruise missile and other aerial threats.
Airborne Warning and Control System Design
- AWACS is essentially an aircraft fitted with sophisticated radar, i.e. Radar flying within the sky capable of providing advance warning about enemy's intrusion into country's airspace. It not only finds out but also can attack enemy's targets within the air.
- As per an agreement between India and Israel, India will get Phalcon AWACS from Israel.
- The Phalcons is extremely important for the defense system of a country.
- It boosts both the offensive and defensive operations of a country through its enhanced detection and interception capability and connected missile systems to destroy the hostile aircraft or missile.
- It also can trace troop build-ups or activities within the enemy country.
- In India, a project to develop a mini-AWACS was approved in 2004. As per this project, DRDO will develop AEW&C (airborne early warning and control) systems and it'll be mounted on three Embraer ERJ 145 jets obtained from Brazil.
- The U.S Air Force uses E-3 airborne warning and system, which is made by Boeing Defense & Space Group, is meant to carry out airborne surveillance additionally to command, control, and communications functions for tactical and air defence forces.
- Within the USA, this aircraft is known as E-3 AWACS. Within the UK it's called C-3 Sentry AEW (airborne early warning) and in France, it carries the designation E-3 SDA.