ZIP Full Form | Full Form of ZIP
- The zip file extension doesn't have a full form. It's an archive file format that supports lossless data compression (original data perfectly reconstructed from compressed data).
- There's variety of data compression algorithms available like deflate, Huffman coding, arithmetic coding, Lempel-Ziv-Markov chain algorithm (LZMA), etc.
- A zip file might be understood because the combination of multiple compressed files and folders, sometimes combined together to make an archive.
- Phillip Walter Katz is that the co-creator of the zip file format and was initially released on February 14, 1989. The informal meaning of zip is “move at high speed”.
Characteristics of zip
- Zip file format uses the file extensions .zip or .zip and therefore the mime media type application/zip.
- Zip file format is used with any OS like windows , MAC and Linux systems.
- Zip file supports password based authentication called Zipcrypto to avoid unauthenticated people reach.
- There are various .zip tools available like WINZIP, WINRAR , 7-zip , etc. To make a zip file, or to unpack the contents of a zip file.
- The main aim of zipping is data compression.
- Data compression may be a way of encoding structured data to require up less disc space when stored on a computer-based system. Basically, it involves re-encoding information using fewer bits than the first representation.
Advantages of zip
- By using zip file format one can compress the files and folders to a large extent and may save to 80% or more in hard disk space.
- Transmission of zipped files over the web is far easier and drastically reduces the e-mail transmission time.
- Zipping supports encryption of data, helpful when sending private data over the web.
- The minimum size of a zip file is 22 bytes. Such an empty zip file contains only an end of central directory record (eocd).
- Zip maintains privacy - zipping allows you to encrypt private data, helpful when sending such data over internet.
- Zip improves file integrity.
Disadvantages of zip
- Uncompression of files takes up memory and processor time to finish the task, running within the background. You’ll encounter out of memory error.
- Sometimes there is also an opportunity that zip file get corrupted and extraction of files and folders cannot happen correctly.
- In some situations including compressing video and audio files, the file you're compressing can't be made smaller, leading to a compressed file that's larger in size than the first file.
- Damaged data can affect the whole zip file.
- Unencryption can occur.