MAC Full Form | Full Form of MAC
MAC Full Form - Media Access Control Address
- Here, you’ll get the solution of following MAC related questions: full form of MAC , full form of MAC os , mac full form , mac full form in computer
Media Access Control Address
- MAC stands for Media Access Control Address.
- It's a hardware identification number that identifies each device connected to a network.
- The MAC address is embedded into network interface cards (NIC) in your computer like an Ethernet card or Wi-Fi card, at time of producing by the seller, so it can't be changed. So, it's a hardware number of a computer, which is additionally referred to as a physical address or a hardware address of a network device.
- The Network Interface Card (NIC) may be a circuit card that permits your computer to attach to a network.
- It converts the data into an electrical signal which will be transmitted over the network. So, in a network, along with an IP address, there's also a hardware address.
- IP addresses are associated with TCP/IP, whereas MAC addresses are related to the hardware of network adapters. So, MAC may be a computer's unique hardware number, i.e., a unique identifier for an Ethernet or network adapter over a network.
- There are many networkable devices, and every is required to possess a singular MAC address, so there must be many addresses.
- Accordingly, MAC addresses comprise of six two-digit hexadecimal numbers separated by colons. For ex , an Ethernet card can have a MAC address of 0d:00:b1:8e:83:C1. So, it's a 12 digit hexadecimal number, which may be a 6-byte binary number and is represented by Colon-Hexadecimal notation.
- First 6 digits of MAC address provides information about the manufacturer; it's called OUI (Organizational Unique Identifier). The next or last 6 digits identify the Network Interface Controller, which is assigned by the manufacturer.
- The network automatically recognizes this number, and that we don't got to remember the address. IEEE Registration Authority Committee assigns the MAC prefixes to its registered vendors.
OUI of some famous manufacturers
- 3C:5A:B4: Google, Inc.
- CC: 46: D6: Cisco
- 3C:D9:2B: Hewlett Packard