IG Full Form | Full Form of IG in Police
IG Full Form - Inspector General of Police
- Here you’ll get the solution for the following IG related questions: full form of IG in police , full form of IG board , what is full form of IG , full form of IG in police department , full form of IG police .
Inspector General of Police
- IG stands for Inspector General of Police. He or she may be a senior police officer within the Indian police.
- This designation refers to the head of a large regional command of the police service. An IPS officer who has completed 19 years of service are often promoted to become an IG.
- IG is responsible for the whole administrative management of the police and has the command over the national police service and should perform functions as per the national legislation.
- He exercises his powers like regarding appointments, postings, promotions and suspension in accordance with the instructions and rules notified by the govt. Besides this, as per the police act, 1861, the IG of police has the complete power of a Magistrate throughout the general police-district, however, this power may vary as per the limitation imposed by the state govt.
- To become the IG, you've got to start from IPS and to become an IPS officer you've got to clear the UPSC exam first. Thereafter, Based on your experience and performance in your job, you'll be promoted as IG within 10-14 years. The IG is appointed for a single four-year term and can't be appointed again.
Functions or duties of an IG
- IG of a zone is a link between the Director-General of Police and therefore the District office.
- He ensures co-operation between the police of varied ranges or districts under his jurisdiction.
- He may control, advice or give instructions to DIGs and SP of his range to remember and not to supersede each other in their assigned functions.
- He can overtake Range DIG and SP in an emergency and may take full control of the situation.
- He pays attention to the training of Armed Reserves in order that a high level of efficiency and discipline are often maintained within the police forces. He's also responsible for maintaining disciplines among officers of all designations.
- He instructs officers under his post associated with man-management and modesty in their conduct and behavior while performing their duties.
- He is authorized to have information of all serious cases related to misconduct of officers that are posted in his range.
- He can guide and direct his range DIGs and Superintendents of Police in serious matters and may make personal enquiries in serious cases.
- He shares copies of his tour programs with DGP, SP under him.