YABATECH Full Form | Full Form of YABATECH
YABATECH Full Form - YABA College of Technology
YABA College of technology
- YABA College of technology, popularly called YABATECH, was founded in 1947, and is Nigeria’s first higher educational institution. It's located in YABA, Lagos. It's a student enrollment of over 16,000.
- YABA College of technology was established in 1947 as a successor of YABA higher college. It attained autonomous status in 1969 by virtue of decree 23 which granted it the mandate to supply full-time and part-time courses of instruction and training in technology, applied science, commerce and management, agricultural production and distribution; and for research.
- YABA College of technology is that the first higher institution in Nigeria to determine a centre for entrepreneurship development, with linkages with the world of commerce and industry. The centre offers compulsory courses which must be taken by all students throughout their stay within the college.
- There is a top quality assurance unit within the college which monitors the standard of educational service delivery.
- The Applied Research and Technology Innovation (ARTI) unit was established to market research and linkages with private sector organizations for the exploitation and use of research. ARTI also assists to market linkages between students of YABATECH and students of other institutions especially within the area of research.
- Free medical service is provided at the medical centre, which is open 24/7. Sports facilities are provided at the game complex which is found at the centre of the campus. The college has won the Nigeria polytechnic games association five times out of sixteen editions of the competition.
- The college features a second campus at EPE, this campus is home to the department of agricultural technology and Michael otedola information and communication centre.
- The college is currently headed by engineer obafemi omokungbe, the rector. He's the first alumnus of the institution to be appointed rector. He succeeded Dr. Margaret kudirat ladipo, on March 6, 2018 who completed her tenure December 10, 2017.
Courses and programmes
- YABA College of technology has eight schools and thirty-four academic departments with a complete of sixty-four accredited programmes, across ND, HND and post-HND levels. The school also offers certificate courses.
- YABATECH offers b.sc (ED) courses in technical and vocational training and postgraduate diplomas in engineering. The 2 programmes are run in conjunction with the University of Nigeria, nsukka and therefore the federal university of technology, Akure, respectively. The scholar population which is formed from both full-time and part-time students is within the range of 15,000, while the staff strength is 1,600.
- In April 2015, the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) approved five new courses for YABA College of technology. The courses are higher national diploma in mass communication, banking and finance, metallurgy engineering, national diploma in welding and fabrication and public administration.
- In June 2019, YABA College of technology made the move to partner with a number one Nigerian security solutions company to design and implement a security management certification programme. According to the duo, the programme targets individuals, who desire to be modern security managers and people in active security employment or getting to venture into the safety industry from managerial levels. Speaking at an occasion organized recently by the institutions to sign a memorandum of understanding ( MOU ), director, YABATECH consult limited, uduak inyang-udoh, said the collaboration would bridge the knowledge gap in achieving global security standards.
- The college also features a functioning radio station YCT radio 89.3fm; the radio station was established to function a training ground for mass communication students and future broadcasters.