NATO Full Form | Full Form of NATO
NATO Full Form - North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- NATO stands for North Atlantic Treaty Organization. It’s a political and military alliance of 28 countries.
- The organization was formed to safeguard the freedom and security of the member countries. The organization is headquartered in Brussels, Belgium.
- NATO was established on 4 April 1949 with the aim of collective defense which suggests an attack on any of its member countries are going to be considered an attack on all allies.
North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- The primary goal of NATO is to secure and protect the liberty of its member countries. But, in recent years, with the changing face of war, it's to expand its purpose and it's decided that it'll also secure and protect the member countries from terrorism, cyber attacks and weapons of mass destruction.
- NATO was established in 1949, after war II, when the US and a number of other European countries signed the North Atlantic Treaty to unite against enemies.
- In 1949, It started only with 12 member countries; Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, UK and therefore the US.
- In 1952, Greece and Turkey joined the organization.
- In 1955, it had been joined by West Germany.
- In 1982, Spain joined the Organization.
- In 1997, Hungary, Czech Republic and Poland were invited to hitch the organization.
- In 2004, one year after NATO took command of United Nations-mandated International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), it had been joined by seven countries; Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
- In 2009, Albania and Croatia became its members.