CD Full Form | What is the Full Form of CD
CD Full Form - Compact Disc
- A Compact Disc is a flat, small-rounded recordable device which may store up to 700mb data.
- It's a diameter of 4.75 inch. It's portable, hence, they can be taken anywhere according to ones need. We will run a CD uncountable time as its quality doesn't degrade with time and long last.
- CDs can store any type of data like audio, video, text, pictures, etc in digital format.
- The data is stored within the form of small notches on the disc and when the disc is played the data is read by a laser from an optical drive.
Types of Compact Disc
Types of Compact Disc
- Compact Disc - Read Only Memory is a popular and standard optical disk used for reading data in computers.
- Recordable Compact Disc has write operation feature. It’s made from special dye which reflects different colours when light fall on it. The shelf life of CD-R is 20 to 100 years.
- Rewritable compact disc is a disk in which data can erase and rewritten again and again.
- Video compact disc enables one to examine a moving images clearly on the screen.
- Credit of inventing a CD cannot be given to one person, as every a part of the CD has been discovered by different individuals.
- Although James Russell is that the most attributed inventor of the CD.
- He discovered it in 1965 and therefore the patent of CD was sold to the Sony and Philips Company which made it publicly on May 17, 1978 in Japan and by 1983 it further went on to US and Europe.
- The first CD was produced on 17 August 1982 at the Philips factory in Germany.
- CDs are made from 1.2 mm thick polycarbonate plastic weighing about 16 grams.
- A thin layer of Aluminum is applied to the surface to form it reflective. The data transforms from the middle and proceeds to the edge.
- A CD has two sides. One side is plane which tells us about the content of the CD and other side shines as it has the laser beam on it through which it is read.
- It is small in terms of size.
- It is portable.
- Faster data access.
- It is cheap to provide.
- It has smaller storage capacity. When used more, it should produce scratches.