LCD Full Form | What is the full form of LCD in Computer
LCD Full Form - Liquid Cristal Display
Liquid Cristal Display
- LCD is a flat panel display or video display which uses the light modulating property of liquid crystals.
- It’s used to display images use in many electronic devices available in the market today. LCDs display the arbitrary images and fixed images both.
- Arbitrary images are the general purpose computer display images and the fixed images are used in digital clocks and calculators etc. It's mostly used as a computer monitor and television set in the household.
- It replaced the old Cathode Rays Tubes (CRTs) and reduces the power consumption.
- LCD screens are more energy efficient and it is disposed more safely than CRT.
- It’s always preferred to use in battery powered equipments due to its energy efficiency.
How it works
- It works on the principle of color emission of liquid crystals.
- Liquid crystals were discovered in 1888. LCD is an electronically modulated optical device made from segments filled with liquid crystals. LCDs used liquid crystals and polarized light to display the pictures.
- When the electric current applied to LCD TVs, there's a large bright light that shines towards the viewer. It creates a lot of pixels that generates images
- LCDs provide better clarity and efficiency than CRTs. It's also more trendy and fashionable.
- The LCD display was first built in the year 1964 in RCA Laboratories by George Heilmeier who was an electrical engineer in the RCA lab.
- At first in the year 1888, liquid crystal was discovered by Friedrich Reinitzer by extracted cholesterol from carrots, who was an Austrian botanist.
- In that time liquid crystal was used in research and experimental works.
- Then by the year 1936, liquid crystal was used in a practical application and referred to as liquid crystal Light Valve which is used in wireless telegraphy.
- Then within the year 1962, a researcher of RCA Richard Williams generated some patterns in a thin layer of liquid material by applying voltage on it, which is known as electro-optical effects. After all these things finally in 1964 LCD was invented.
- The first modern LCD was produced in the year 1972, by International liquid Company (ILIXCO) owner James Fergason.
- This LCD was made using passive grid technology. In the year 1995 Hitachi and NEC were the first manufacturers of active matrix LCDs. These LCDs are based on IPS (In Plane Switching) technology.
- After all this, by the year 1996 SAMSUNG , TOSHIBA has come to market.
LCD is used in devices like:
- Digital clocks
- Gaming Devices
- Mobile Phones
- Smart Phones etc.
Liquid Cristal Display Used in Devices
Advantages of LCD
- The main advantage of LCD is, it's low in cost and energy efficient and very less power consumption.
- LCD is thinner and lighter and really flexible.
- LCD provides excellent contrast, brightness and resolution, so the picture quality is extremely clear like a crystal.
- Radiation of LCD monitors are much but CRT monitors
- LCD is suitable with CMOS integrated circuits so that making of LCD is very easy.
- It gives perfect sharpness at the native resolution
- Zero geometric distortion at the native resolution of the pane
- It provides various conveniences like portability as compared to previous technology based screens.
Disadvantages of LCD
- LCD requires additional light sources for lighting the pixels, so if the light source is destroyed then the LCD isn't providing any image on the display.
- LCD is less reliable display.
- The image visibility depends on light intensity
- The aspect ratio and resolution are fixed for LCD.
- LCD has an irregular intensity scale and it produce lower than 256 discrete intensity levels.
- In LCD color saturation is reduced at the low intensity level due to poor black-level.
- LCD provide limited viewing angle, it affects the brightness. If we are watching the screen by an angle then the color of the image is changed in our eyes.