TBI Full Form | Full Form of TBI
TBI Full Form - Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic Brain Injury
- TBI stands for Traumatic Brain Injury. It’s also referred to as intracranial injury.
- It’s an injury or damage to the brain caused by an external mechanical force (blow or jolt), e.g. the head suddenly hits an object or an object hits the head and enters into the head or the brain tissue through the skull.
- There are many common reasons for TBI like road accidents, falls, assaults and accidents at home or at work.
- The brain injuries aren't treated like other injuries. The results and symptoms of two brain injuries is also very different.
- The symptoms may appear quickly or may take few days or weeks to look as sometimes people do not realize that an injury has occurred.
- The symptoms of TBI are often mild, moderate or severe looking on the damage to the brain.
People with mild or moderate TBI may experience the following symptoms
Symptoms of Tbi
- Repeated headache and vomiting
- Convulsions or seizures
- Slurred speech
- Numbness in the arms and legs
- Dilated eye pupils
The severity of the TBI is set from the following factors
- Duration of the loss of consciousness
- Duration of amnesia or disorientation
- How responsive was the person following an injury
Based on the amount of severity, TBI will be of two types : Mild and Severe
TBI will be of two types
- Mild :
- In this type of injury, the person is awake and experiences a quick disorientation or loss of consciousness.
- Severe :
- In this injury, the person is unconscious and experiences an extended loss of consciousness, lasting over 6 hours. E.g. a penetrating brain injury like a gunshot wound to the head is a severe TBI.