EDP Full Form in Computer | Full Form of EDP
EDP Full Form - Electronic Data Processing
Full Form of EDP
- Electronic Data Processing, is nothing but a synonym for IS (Information Services or systems) or MIS (Management Information Services or systems).
- It refers to the processing of-commercial data, storing documents, transferring information from paper into digital format with the use of a computer involving electronic communication.
- It had been created with the term DP(Data Processing).
- In simple words, it's a process comprising of three stages which are as follows:
- Input : The data is entered through input devices like keyboard, digitizer, scanner etc.
- Processing : The data is manipulated through software programs that sometimes include translation, formula, code application, and encryption etc.
- Output : The processed data is passed to the user within the type of reports, audio, video etc.
Process of EDP
- Lyons Electronic Office (LEO) developed first commercial business computer in UK in 1951. At that point data could only be entered through punched tape or cards.
- These punched cards needed to be separately manufactured. Processing commercial data was extremely tough and really time consuming.
- At first, individual organizations created their own software, bespoke processing software.
- With the arrival of microprocessors, punch cards were retired and it became possible to process data electronically using simple desktop computers.
- Speed :
- The information stored and managed through EDP are often retrieved quickly.
- Efficiency :
- It allows you generate summary documents (invoices, reports, statements) automatically and quickly.
- Cost-effective :
- Long-run total cost of managing data through EDP is less.
- Less errors or mistakes :
- Errors like repeated entries, duplication of efforts are greatly reduced or eliminated in EDP.
EDP in Modern era
- In today's electronics world, EDP term isn't that much used. Almost in every sector there's use of computers.
- Companies hire employees to convert their raw information digitally to supply products and services to their customers during a timely and efficient way.