IAS Full Form Officers | IAS Full Form in Police
IAS Full Form - Indian Administrative Service
- The Indian Administrative Service is the top and most prestigious administrative civil service of government of India.
- The IAS officers hold the key and strategic positions in Union government and public sector undertaking.
- The IAS officers are recruited together with IRS , IFS , and IPS through the exam of Union Public Service Commission ( UPSC ).
- It’s considered a really difficult exam. Alongside the Indian Police Service (IPS), and Indian Forest Service (IFS), IAS is one among the three all India services. Its cadres are employed by central and state Governments.
- IAS was constituted in 1946. Before IAS, Indian Imperial Service (1883-1946) was in existence.
- At the start of their career IAS officers join the state administration at the sub-divisional level as a SDM and look after law and order.
Educational qualification to become an IAS officer
- The candidate must be graduate from any recognized university to apply for this prestigious job. Every year an exam is scheduled by Union Public Service Commission.
- This can be considered as the toughest exam in India due to its extreme competitive nature.
For example: In 2012, over 5 lack students applied for this exam from which only 170 were finally recruited for IAS. This is the toughness of this examination.
Functions of an IAS officer
- To maintain Law and Order and general administration in his working area.
- Handle the daily affairs of the government.
- Functions as Executive Magistrate, Chief Development Officer/District Development Commissioner.
- Policy formation and decision making.
- Distribute funds and resources for implementing the policies
- Travel to specific places to oversee implementation of policies
- Ensure zero irregularities in fund allocation and management
- Some of the designations offered to IAS officers during field posting are as follows:
- SDM, Joint Collector, Chief Development Officer (CDO)
- District Magistrate, District Collector or Commissioner
- Divisional Commissioner
- Some of the designations offered to IAS officers during posting in Secretariat of State Government/Central Government are as follows:
- Under Secretary in Government of India
- Deputy Secretary in Government of India
- Director in Government of India
- Joint Secretary to Government of India
- Secretary to Government of India
- Cabinet Secretary
Salary structure of an IAS officer
|Grade||Data Science||Data Science|
|Cabinet Secretary Grade||Cabinet Secretary of India||INR 90,000|
|Apex Scale||Chief secretary of states, union secretaries in charge of various
ministries of government of india
|Above super time scale||Principal secretaries/financial commissioners in states, additional
secretaries to the government of india
|Super time scale||Divisional commissioner in a division or secretary in state
government or position of joint secretary to government of india
|INR 37,400-INR 67,000 plus grade pay of INR 10000|
|Selection grade||District collector in a district or special secretary in the state
government or a director in the central government
|INR 37,400-INR 67,000 plus grade pay of INR 8700|
|Junior administrative grade||Joint secretary in the state government or a deputy secretary
in the central government
|INR 15,600-INR 39,100 plus grade pay of INR 7600|
|Senior time scale||Chief development officer or municipal commissioner
in a district or under secretary in state or o.s.d in central government
|INR 15,600-INR 39,100 plus grade pay of INR 6600|
|Junior time scale||Sub-divisional magistrate in a sub-division of a district (entry)||INR 15,600-INR 39,100 plus grade pay of INR 5400|